flux and solder

• Thread starter GaytonTonner
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Maybe I am missing something. What do others use in solder-flux combinations.

Experience lad, experience :LOL: :LOL:

I have 30 years of that. Thanks for all the comments.

Lead free solder I find a nightmare. I had one job connecting onto old pipe which was tight in the bottom corner jutting out of the wall, which was tinned. The joint just kept leaking, even after stripping out the new and redoing. I stripped the new stuff out and tried leaded solder (on potable water) and it all took onto the old pipe.

I find modern fluxes and lead free solder just run all over the pipe causing the pipe to look appalling and amateurish.

The worst combination I find is Powerflow (yellow tub) and lead-free. I have had no problem with quality compression and a smear of LSX. It works out cheaper as I have no come-backs. Using the odd compression joints here and there does not run up the material costs to any point it is noticeable.

I recall as a kid Besco flux and leaded solder worked brilliantly. The solder never ran all over the pipe. I have not seen Besco for years. Besco never self-cleaned, as modern fluxes are supposed to. Using self clean fluxes there is no need to flux the fitting. With the likes of Besco you need to.

I read that Powerflow does not need the pipe to be cleaned. I always have as I don't trust makers claims. Would that be connecting onto 35 year old dulled copper does not need cleaning? I never tried, and don't intend to :)

I will try Laco and see if any improvement using lead free solder.

Sponsored Links
yellow tub black tub with red top? yellow gas black gas? after plumbing for 10 years you dont know the name of the flux and gas you're supposedly using sounds like a big tub of brown stuff to me!

Quote: a messy soldered joint looks amuterish

but a compression joint with lsx isnt! LMC OFF

u joker i hope u dont take money off people cause that would be criminal!

Lead free and Everflux, its the best flux in the world FACT

Lets have a vote. OK what flux do you all recommend using lead-free solder?

lets have another vote. am i the only one still using tin/lead? ;)

since a mate threw my half used tub of powerflow out of a window some years ago, and i started using his everflux, i have used nothing else.......

My Setup
Rothenberger Propane Bottle
Bullfinch Self Igniting Torch
Laco Flux
Lead-Free Solder
Flux inside the fitting!

BRAP BRAP!

Cant believe this has gone on for 2 pages, if you cant solder you aint a plumber it shouldnt matter what flux, solder, gas, torch combo your given its a simple thing to do with practise and compression joints under floor boards is asking for trouble. If you cant solder use speed fit/hep20 or better yet dont do jobs as a plumber

Cant believe this has gone on for 2 pages, if you cant solder you aint a plumber it shouldnt matter what flux, solder, gas, torch combo your given its a simple thing to do with practise and compression joints under floor boards is asking for trouble. If you cant solder use speed fit/hep20 or better yet dont do jobs as a plumber

I can solder and have been doing it for 30 years. But some flux/solder combinations are a pig.

using hep or jg is probably asking for trouble every bit as much as using compressions, which is as daft as using solder ring fittings.....

*waits for abuse*

using hep or jg is probably asking for trouble every bit as much as using compressions, which is as daft as using solder ring fittings.....

*waits for abuse*

when installing a heating system i always use jg underfloor,copper where seen.........my soldering is immaculate :D

yellow tub black tub with red top? yellow gas black gas? after plumbing for 10 years you dont know the name of the flux and gas you're supposedly using sounds like a big tub of brown stuff to me!

i love it , i find speakin in easy speak on this site helps the thick people think a bit more, it obviously worked. and as matter of fact when i'm at the merchants i actually ask for "yellow gas and yellow tub" because they are thick and its easier than askin for it by name.

p.s you can have the wife.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back