foam case seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon gents.

Would like to tap into your knowledge again.

While I am building my gas experience with an RGI, I am trying to buy something every couple of weeks for the toolbox, no matter how small it is.

Looking through the BES catalogue (again!) I saw the rolls of boiler case foam. Just wondered if they could be used universally for repairs or if some boilers require only the manufacturers case foam?

Thanks for your input Si

Sponsored Links
I've used the foam seal on most older boilers combustion chamber case, but I do not use it instead of asbestos free rope where this has been present.

If its not approved by the boiler manufacturer then its not allowed.

I very much doubt that it is approved by any of them.

Stick to the proper case seals and if they are not available then its time for a new boiler.

Thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I misled you with the question.

If a room sealed boilers case foam seal is damaged, can this BES case foam be used as a repair. Or should you always use the manufacturers foam seals.
I did not mean to imply that I would use it for open flued boilers or for combustion chamber seals, just for room sealed appliances.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I understand that it is important to use the correct materials for the job.

Thanks Si

Sponsored Links
I don't think there was a misunderstanding, your question is a fair one and there is no clear answer. You can make a list of things which can be replaced on a boiler by something other than the manufacturer's spare part for that particular boiler, which appears to be "the same". This is off the top of my head, it could be a much longer list :

Flue
Fan
Air pressure switch
boiler case foam
Gas Valve
wiring
thermocouple
pilot tube
temp sensor
diverter valve
pressure relief valve
screw
nut
washer
any of the above "refurbished".

Take your pick. It's your responsibility. I expect most of use have used a non OE part for half or more of the above. Fine until something goes wrong - then it could be prison. Read the GSIUR very carefully!

Thanks ChrisR and scatman john.

You are right Chris I will go and read it very carefully. Do not off the top of my head remember seeing anything about replacement parts. I take it that you mean if you use anything other than manufacturers parts you are at risk of prosecution if something goes wrong.

Thanks scatman. You are ofcourse right, they should know!

Brilliant site. Thanks Si

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back