Foam used to seal boiler flue?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new Vailant boiler fitted about 2 months ago now.

There was a problem and the boiler engineer rang Vailant to come and repair or replace.
The Vailant engineer came last week. Among other things, the engineer said that the foam used around the boiler flue was a BIG no no.

He said it was simply the rule that you used cement to seal - and NOTHING else, period.

See the picture of the existing after recent install.

f1oyTt8.png

(Annoyed that the part doesn't have a surrounding plate - but, I guess if it was there, the foam would never have been observed.)

The Vailant engineer said the foam was highly flammable. He even told me "if you don't believe me, try putting fire to the foam and see what happens"

I had my doubts. I thought the installing engineer MUST have used special fire retardant foam (just guessing).

So... I got pulled a piece of the foam away, and took to a safe place and lit it. WOW!!!... the foam just vanished in like a tenth of a second. I recorded it on video.

EDIT: something else... the position of the flu outside. It's near a 'vent'. It's not a vent as such... it's an outlet for cooker hob and downstairs shower steam outlet (wasn't sure what else to call it). This looks as though it's too close to the vent. I just went out and took a pic to show. See below:

8oKEzEC.png

Am I missing something on both the above mentioned?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm going to get them to come round and fix both. Really upset that such silly mistakes like this happened.

ring gassafe and get them to come and inspect. they will force the original installer correct all this work FOC

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
He came round and fixed. He put cement on.
On the outside he added a plume kit - now the vent is a much bigger distance away from the vent.

He said EVERY single job he does, he uses foam. He said the need to not use foam was something that Vaillant demand.
In actual fact... Vaillant didn't demand. The Vaillant engineer was baulking for mentioning the foam issue... I kind of persuaded him to put it down on his report sheet.

For the plume kit, he said that the job spec he had been given didn't mention needing to be away from the vent, therefore he didn't do.

For both... in my personal uneducated boiler matters opinion: these seem to be fundamental health and safety issues that he should have known about.

The boiler engineer - he is really nice and seemed knowledgeable - I had no reason to question him. It was merely by accident that the problems mentioned got highlighted.

OK... so the funny thing... the real problem was that the (brand new) boiler was making banging noises. Vaillant after inspecting said that the original installers needed to do a chemical flush. If that didn't fix, then they needed to change the heat exchanger.
This never happened. The whole reason for him coming round again was for this. He didn't do this. He said it was nothing to do with him. He had done a chemical flush in the beginning and that was that.

The banging problem is not there right now. But whatever caused it... is still there I guess?

He said EVERY single job he does, he uses foam
well every single job he does is wrong then

For the plume kit, he said that the job spec he had been given didn't mention needing to be away from the vent, therefore he didn't do.[/Q

Job spec does not over rule regulations he is supposed to know the regulations

Vaillant after inspecting said that the original installers needed to do a chemical flush. If that didn't fix, then they needed to change the heat exchanger.

I doubt very much that the Vaillant engineer actually said that, if he thought the banging noise was from poor water quality he would have tested the water and you would have a letter from Vaillant saying that your warranty is invalid until it is sorted by the installer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back