Foam Guns? I'm over them!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it with me and expanding foam guns?
I always keep my tools spotlessly clean and I generally pay a little extra for the best quality. I have tried Bondit and Rawlplug guns and I always follow the instructions and, yes, I use the spray through solvent cleaner after every use, but now I'm ready to go back to Soudal Genius guns because the fancy valve operated ones ALWAYS leak air or gum up, which means that I'm constantly throwing away almost full cans of foam! I'm over them! Am I alone here?
 Olly

Sponsored Links
Very , very alone.
Haha! It seems that way! I'll answer my own thread by saying that professional foam guns are good for those who use expanding foam filler daily, but if like me you only use it once in a while, you should use Soudal Genius guns, because once you've connected an aerosol can, it'll be dead within a day or two!
I feel better now. Lol

Sponsored Links
Haha! It seems that way! I'll answer my own thread by saying that professional foam guns are good for those who use expanding foam filler daily, but if like me you only use it once in a while, you should use Soudal Genius guns, because once you've connected an aerosol can, it'll be dead within a day or two!
I feel better now. Lol
I leave can connected till all used can stay live for weeks.Clean nozzle after use with lighter fuel , it destroys live foam.

Thanks all! I'll try once more, leaving the can attached! For the record, although you don't get the option of a very thin bead with the genius guns, the folding straw system really works well as it preserves the foam for another day. :)

For the record, although you don't get the option of a very thin bead with the genius guns, the folding straw system really works well as it preserves the foam for another day. :)
You are definitely not alone. I have done exactly the same and have gone back to using Genius foams.
They are just so handy and easy to use.
And I've never had one that I've lost half the can through a gummed up nozzel, that's happened to me with Insta-stick and other brands.
My use is only DIY, but for the convenience and lack of hassle, I won't be going back to a gun.

Reminds me of when they first came out about 40 years ago I used a bit then put the can in the back of the van with everything else, got out in the morn the back of the van was like a huge wasps nest with tools , pipe , fittings etc sticking out , had to right off the day as it took me that long to cut through the foam to retrive my tools, fittings etc were abandoned, after that I always put a screw in the end of the tube.

Reminds me of when they first came out about 40 years ago I used a bit then put the can in the back of the van with everything else, got out in the morn the back of the van was like a huge wasps nest with tools , pipe , fittings etc sticking out , had to right off the day as it took me that long to cut through the foam to retrive my tools, fittings etc were abandoned, after that I always put a screw in the end of the tube.
Haha! Well at least you got a great story to tell! Before I learned the 'dos and don'ts' of expanding foam, I used it to fill a void under an acrylic shower tray. Next morning the tray had a lovely hill in the middle. Drained well though!

Isn’t one of the main advantages of guns controlling amount and consistency of the gun foam? Can you do this with a genius device?

Isn’t one of the main advantages of guns controlling amount and consistency of the gun foam? Can you do this with a genius device?
Don't get me wrong; I've found the professional grade guns great for fitting uPVC windows as they deliver a very thin bead of foam just where you need it. Versus the original and clumsy disposables, there's no competition, but the genius system has been a bit of a game-changer in that you get the best of both worlds.
That's my view at least!

As with others, I often leave the canister connected for weeks.

I do however now make a point of closing the flow knob and spraying the tip with the acetone based gun cleaner.

I recently had two cheap guns that failed. It annoyed me that I couldn't completely strip down either.

Two ago weeks I purchased a RoughNeck gun from Toolstation for less than £30. I don't know how long it will last but it looks like it can be completely stripped down.

Sponsored Links
Back