foam roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I suspect I know the answer but my search has revealed posts from 2007 and '09 but nothing more recently (I accept this may be my fault rather than lack of posts).
We're in the process of buying a 1920's semi that the survey has identified as needing felt and boarding on the roof as there is none. Now we've been given an estimate of 7-8k for this work including scaffolding, does this seem reasonable for a average 3 bed semi? We've also been made aware of foam roof solutions and a company called roofsure have said about 2.8k for the work.
My research on here indicates that this is a frowned upon solution, at least a few years ago so is it still?
Also has anyone had it done and it's worked? Or had it done and it's been awful - I can only find trade testimonials saying it's great and forum posts saying don't do it but no 'real person' who's had it done....

Anyway I await your thoughts

Sponsored Links
Hmm I've spent about an hour with my mate Google and found

http://www.askjeff.co.uk/the-roofing-job-that-gives-bodging-a-bad-name/

Which is only one of the many articles I've found. The only mildly positive one was on a green building website and that was because of insulation properties. However they advised against it as expensive and damaging to roof timbers so I think it's trad roofing approach...

So roughly how much to lift roof, felt board and batten a 3 bed semi - ball park figures are acceptable!

If the roof tiles are sound, and the roof is not leaking, it seems extravagant and unnecessary to replace the lot because there is no felt. Plenty of older houses have unfelted roofs. Tiled roofs in England aren't usually boarded. Unless you have problems I'd consider leaving it alone.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for that. It's our survey that's said it should be done. There's no indication of a leak at present but some work on coping tiles etc...

Sponsored Links
Surveyors will always give you a List of Doom. Doesn't mean it all needs to be done straightaway, or even at all. The surveyor has to cover himself by pointing out all potential deficiencies...

That foam AFAIK came from industrial buildings/chicken sheds originally - fine for concrete/fibre cement sheets - can you post a pic. of the roof ?

10997_4041641_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg
Pic hopefully above

It's the main part of the house to chimney we're buying - the extentions are recent - about 5 years old

Hi All

the survey has identified as needing felt and boarding on the roof as there is none.
Looks OK from your angle and as said the surveyor is pointing out something that is normal for a house of that age - bonus is you can go into loft and see exactly what's happening to the tiles eg. if you see one broken from outside check it out inside. It does not "need" felt;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back