foam sprayed under tiles now causing a headache

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My son moved house last year and his new place has foam sprayed on the underside of the roof tiles.I have read other posts and realise its crap.
He noticed staining on the ceilings so went in the loft to find water marks all over the place. he has contacted several roofers and they all run a mile when he tells them about the foam.I think its the wrong time of year to be doing a re roof that could turn into a saga So I was wondering does any roofer know of anything temporary that could be applied over the roof tiles as temporary solution until spring time. when hopefully a re roof could be done with less hassle. I am a plumber and have cat ladders so if any one has any suggestions of a miracle treatment I could try out to help I would be very grateful

Sponsored Links
st09040i.jpg

For water ingress there must be a failure of the covering, ie. Lead/Broken tile(s).
I would get up there, find the point of ingress and coat the offending lead/tile(s) with a paint on fibre sealant.

If the stains are all over the ceiling, could it be condensation falling, rather than actual rain penetration?
Agree best to get it done asap in spring.

Sponsored Links
+1 for a condensation issue......this spray foam is the devils own invention.
I'd consider a dehumidifier up there temporarily.
John :)

Thanks for replies
I have been on the roof in the summer scraping moss from the tiles. It is an up and over roof with no broken tiles. My theory was the moss was preventing the water running down the joints and finding it's way back in
It only appears to happen in very heavy rain. So don't think it's condensation. I do hope it's not caused the timbers to rot.

If there is a leak in the roof, then the water marks would really be concentrated in one place......if there are drops everywhere it still sounds like condensation to me.
Roofs need to breathe, whether they are tiles or slates, under felted or not.
Spraying the foam simply removes that function.
Have you tried hacking any of the foam off yet?
John :)

If condensation is suspected then getting some ventilation in there should help so what is happening at the eaves? Has the spray insulation gunked up the entire eaves too? Were there eaves vents present which have been gunked over? It may be that trying to get the gunk out in the eaves will enable some ventilation to occur. One of the problems with spray foam insulation is that you can never really tell where a roof is leaking.

It only appears to happen in very heavy rain. So don't think it's condensation.

That may not necessarily follow. Heavy rain will have a cooling effect on the roof, which could cause moisture vapour in the loft to condense.

Whatever the cause, your son does need to get it sorted asap, as the timbers will be affected sooner or later.

If condensation is suspected then getting some ventilation in there should help so what is happening at the eaves? Has the spray insulation gunked up the entire eaves too? Were there eaves vents present which have been gunked over? It may be that trying to get the gunk out in the eaves will enable some ventilation to occur. One of the problems with spray foam insulation is that you can never really tell where a roof is leaking.

Yes the eaves are pretty much blocked off with the foam, dont think there were Any vents. The house was built in the 50s small soffit but no vents just the gaps at gutter level. Hope it's not condensation, I did hack some foam off but could not see much as it hard to get the damn stuff off properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back