Foaming paint on the ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with painting a ceiling in a bathroom. It looks like there are tiny bubbles of paint on some of the painting areas. I guess that's called 'foaming'. The surface was prepared correctly, but it was the first time I've used Zinsser Satin White paint, so I might have done something wrong.

I can think of two things. I stirred the painted too much (new can of paint) and didn't wait long enough for the air to escape. Then, I used rollers. Both small (foam) and the larger one caused the same problem. I think the paintbrush didn't, but I hardly used it.

First of all, how to correct it? Will sanding it down be enough? Is 120 grit OK, or should it be finer? Can then I dust it off and paint again straight away?

Then, for the 2nd layer, I'd still like to use a roller. What kind I should use for satin paint on a plaster ceiling? Did anybody had this problem before with this paint-roller-surface combination?

I'm attaching a picture of the ceiling.

ceiling.jpg

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Foam rollers are prone to bubbles, the paint drying fast in warm weather will not help either.
Try a good quality microfibre roller wash it first to reduce shedding do not run the roller right out of paint before refilling and expect to get a sort of orange peel finish which rollers tend to give.

Foam rollers are prone to bubbles, the paint drying fast in warm weather will not help either.
Try a good quality microfibre roller wash it first to reduce shedding do not run the roller right out of paint before refilling and expect to get a sort of orange peel finish which rollers tend to give.
Thanks, I got two other rollers and one of them (small with short nap) worked out. The finish wasn't perfect, but probably it's because of the previous layer. After sanding it had created tiny craters here and there. But overall, it's looks fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back