Focus strange running gear noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 55 plate Focus 2.0 TDCI Titanium spec has started to make a noise just like it's wearing a bad set of noisy tyres or like it's lightly running over the rumble strips at the side of the motorway - but strangely only when turning left ...! Not a problem when turning right so far.

The symptom first started when wearing a worn pair of tyres a couple of weeks ago so I put it down to needing a change but now I've just replaced all the tyres all round, it seems as bad as ever.

From what I can make out from driving it seemed to be from the front running gear so I took the front wheels off at the weekend to see if anything was rubbing but couldn't see anything and all appeared to be secure. I had a look at the back as well and can't see anything rubbing. No marks on the tyres either.

I also thought it might be exhaust but there doesn't seem to be any exhaust problems and it's not noisy when stationery - and the "only when turning left" symptom is puzzling me somewhat.

Just done 76000, regularly serviced.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It could also possibly be a driveshaft constant velocity joint (CV) but they tend to clonk when on full lock.
Hope they get to the problem!
John :)

Back