Food mixer motor vetilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a look at the family Kenwood food mixer which apparently had a bit of smoke coming out of it.

Basically its this type of mixer.

I completely stripped it and had the bare motor on the bench and running sweet as a nut.

I'm curious, having looked at the build of the appliance, why it doesn't have a vent in the motor enclosure to allow cool air in to circulate. As it is, its enclosed and if the motor's running for say 30 minutes, to me it should be better air cooled.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Its likely that motors in this situation could inhale flour dust or whatever so they dissipate heat through the heavy metal castings.
Other motors are sealed to prevent spark escape and possibly a fire risk.
I must say, smoke coming out of it isnt a good sign :eek:
John :)

Well on the bench, stripped out, the motor was running nicely for 5 minutes full speed.

There is small slot in the rear (opposite side to the bowl) of the plastic cover on top of the motor enclosure so presumably, that's deemed adequate.

Anyway, its back together so see what happens on the next cake bake.

Thanks for posting John!

might the smoke have come from the speed regulator?

Sponsored Links
might the smoke have come from the speed regulator?

I'll certainly keep that in mind if it needs further investigation - thanks.

On the bench, when running, certainly no smoke signals!

As daft as it may seem, its dawned on me that the lack of ventilation is there's no non-slip pads on the bottom so air can't flow in underneath and travel up inside the motor body and out the rear through the slot.

Will get some sticky pads on to the base to give it a bit of a gap.

if the motor's running for say 30 minutes, to me it should be better air cooled.

Is it designed to run for 30 minutes?

I was under the impression that many consumer grade products are designed to run for, let's say 10 minutes followed by a 20 minute rest.

Running on a bench there is no load, maybe gearing is worn. Bin and buy a more reliable brand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back