Food Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I heard a report today that each household is wasting up to £350 per year over confusion around sell/ use by dates.

A few years ago, I saw a YT vid about food wastage.

In it, a (poor) family were throwing out all the food that was on or close to the date, regardless of whether it was fit or not.

Back in the 70s, before pack dates were introduced, we used to look at it. If it looked OK, we sniffed it. And if it smelt OK, we tasted it. If it passed all those tests we scoffed it.

Now we are being urged to do just this: use our senses to check food before throwing it out.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On one of my mothers visits she found a 5 year old curry in the fridge ice box and cooked it for me

I was on the bog best part of the next day ran out of toilet roll

Years ago when u was a child she went on some early morning Sunday walk and found some mushrooms (?) brought a few home and fried em up for my old man

jeez us he got food posoining

lobbed up in a bucket beside the bed and his false teeth came out into the bucket

not realising this my mother flushed the bucket contents down the bog teeth and all

he was not amused tbh

It is shocking how much is wasted. We hardly fill our food bin each week, but I see neighbours with 2 food bins and often additional bags of food. They also manage to fill 5-6 plastic recycling bags in a fortnight, compared to our 1 - it is probably connected with fast food, convenience meals etc.

We really need to get back to a simpler food society, but big food corps plough billions into food advertising and marketing to sell their most profitable lines. There's more money in shrink wrapping food than selling fresh.

I'm not a lover of Sell by/Use by dates. Much prefer date of packing/manufacture and then I (or the wife) can make our own minds up.

I can't see the problem with selling F&V loose.
Or, come to that, wonky F&V. Most is chopped up or pureed, who cares if it looks like a willy or not?

I couldn't believe an interview with a farmer once, showing the huge pile of carrots that had been rejected by the supermarkets as they weren't perfect enough. Crazy.......

I can't see the problem with selling F&V loose.
Or, come to that, wonky F&V. Most is chopped up or pureed, who cares if it looks like a willy or not?

I couldn't believe an interview with a farmer once, showing the huge pile of carrots that had been rejected by the supermarkets as they weren't perfect enough. Crazy.......

We get wonky veg from Morrison's, I even think they're called wonky veg. As you say, when peeled and chopped up, who would know. Tastes the same.

We get wonky veg from Morrison's, I even think they're called wonky veg. As you say, when peeled and chopped up, who would know. Tastes the same.
Millions of pumpkins binned after halloween...Mankind is so clever and so numb

Not sure if this is the app, but a neighbour has an app where you buy some food for £3, you go and collect it from wherever and is pot luck what you get.
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/too-good-to-go-end-food-waste/id1060683933
She paid about £4 for this
IMG-20210128-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back