Footing depth below pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been helping my friend dig his footings for a single story extension at the rear, as wide as the house and 3m deep.

He is replacing waste water pipe that runs through that area but was suggesting that all 3 sides of the footings need to be 600mm below the bottom of the pipe. which due to the land at the side of his house already being lower, it will actually make them all about 6ft deep.

I was suggesting that only the footings around the pipe need to be 600mm lower.

Can anyone clarify?
pipe.jpg 20150810_211104_resized.jpg 20150810_211112_resized.jpg 20150810_211130_resized.jpg

Sponsored Links
the trench running on top of the pipe has been dug out so he can replace the pipe, but there is a trench to the left which runs parallel with it

Sponsored Links
It is only those foundations within an influencing proximity to the drain, which need to be deeper than the drain.

You would assume the force or push on the footings typically has a 45 degree diagonal influence on the ground.

You don't necessarily need to be 600mm deeper than the drain either, but you do need adequate clearance above and around the drain should you lintel over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back