Ford Fiesta - multiple problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2000 Ford Fiesta Finesse with several problems! Firstly for the last few months there has been a loud whirring sound coming from the rear passenger side wheel which changes in volume with speed and can be best described as a whirring vibrating noise. Since yesterday the wheel has started clicking once on every revolution - I've jacked it up and it seems secure but I was just wondering what this could be before I take it into the garage.

Also the exhaust has given out fluff just recently and I'm told this would fail its MOT due to too high emissions.

There is a clanking noise every so often when you go over bumps in the road - is this related to the exhaust or wheel?

Another two problems are that occassionally both the rear windscreen wiper and rear windscreen heater don't work but eventually come back on again - is this a dodgy connection somewhere? And finally very rarely when you turn the ignition key something in the bonnet gives out a deafening screeching noise.

Any advice as to whats wrong and how much it should cost would be greatly appreciated thanks. :!: :arrow:

Sponsored Links
"something in the bonnet gives out a deafening screeching noise"
That is likely to be a slipping belt.
"started clicking once on every revolution"
That is likely to be a brake shoe, slightly displaced within the drum.
The "clanking" noise is likely to be the exhaust but, an inspection should be carried out to eliminate a more serious disorder.
Prices are difficult to estimate but, is the vehicle serviced regularly and does someone inspect the car (underneath) at regular intervals? It seems to me that you need to take it to an independent garage, pay for a couple of hours inspection and road test, and obtain an estimate for the repairs to be carried out.

Firstly for the last few months there has been a loud whirring sound coming from the rear passenger side wheel which changes in volume with speed and can be best described as a whirring vibrating noise.

This is quite likely to be a wheel bearing. If it's been like this for a while then you should really look at getting it replaced. Along with the other faults it might be time for a trip to the garage...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I took the car into an independent and well recommended garage yesterday. Apparently the nearside rear wheel bearing had completely disintegrated and there was a lot of play in the wheel so had that replaced. The exhaust centre box baffles had gone explaining the 'fluff' and there was a hole in the centre pipe so had that replaced too. And finally it screeched for the mechanics when they started it and they checked the flywheel to no avail and found that the starter motor was damaged so had a new Bosch one put in. Came to almost £300 in total - such a pain! Drives a lot more smoothly and quietly now though.

Back