Ford Focus Electrical and Lighting Problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 04 Ford Focus Zetec had a strange electric problem. I am away for 4 weeks, when I started the engine there is a variation in the lights and heater fan. I mean, all the lights including the headlights and parking lights brightens up and goes down with out acceleration and the heater fans also goes up and down. I drove for 4 days and I never had any problems with the engine. What could be the reason?

Sponsored Links
Was the during the recent cold weather? I suspect the battery has started to loose it's charge after being left for 4 weeks. When you started it the alternator started to re-charge the battery but because the heater and lights were drawing on the battery they weren't getting 12 volts continously as the engine and other ancillaries were also drawing on the battery. I assume once you had taken the car for a drive and the battery was fully charged it stoped?

Many thanks iwaters.

Yes, I have taken the car out during this cold weather (6th Jan). I am driving for last 4 days 30 minutes every day to work. All the heaters were 'on' during this 30 minutes. Probably I need to drive more to get the battery recharged.

Especially morning times I can observe few small sounds (tick - tick switching sounds) from the glove box. Is that makes any sense to this problem?

Many years ago I was told to park close to a wall, with headlights on, and rev the engine. If the lights got brighter, it showed that the alternator was working, ie charging the battery. Looks like thats whats happening with you. The battery is a little flat, so taking a good charging from the alternator, and when you accelerate lights etc get a boost of voltage.
Not sure about clicking though...

Sponsored Links
Thanks ACIDTECHNO,

I have observed the battery warning light on the panel blinks for a while. My acceleration doesn't effect the light and heater fan variations.

The alternator needs to keep your battery charged with direct current electricity. To avoid losses during charging and battery function the voltage required is about 14.5v.
An alternator produces alternating current (!) and this is changed to DC using a solid state rectifier.
The faster an alternator spins, the more voltage it produces. To control this there is a solid state voltage regulator which, together with the rectifier, usually lives in the alternator end housing.
To enable an alternator to produce a voltage output, it needs a voltage input - or exciter voltage. this is introduced to the alternator by carbon brushes rubbing onto a slip ring - rather like the dynamos of old.
I guess - and that is all it is - that the slip rings on your alternator are getting worn, and this in turn is affecting the performance of the voltage regulator. I would keep an eye on the red warning light, and consider that the alternator will need changing at some time.
John :)

The problem still exists.

Yesterday I have been to Halfords and explained the problem, they tested with battery meter and said everything is looking fine including alternator.

Some body advised me to reset the battery. So yesterday I have taken the battery connections out and put it back after an hour. So far, I haven't found the variations, but the battery icon still glows. This battery icon on the control panel started glowing for a while and disappears after 3 to 4 minutes last week. But now since last two days the battery icon is showing continuously on the panel. But I don't have any starting problem or any other problems. What could be the reason, any ideas????

that light will come on when battery is charging outside a preset range,,

perhaps for example, if your battery is outside 12v-14v.

a couple of things this could be.

- battery not holding charge/or drained (only way to test this is with a "discharge tester")

- alternator not doing its job,, ie: undercharging or over charging (halfords ***** wont be able to tell you this,, go to a garage, they will use a meter and tell you the exact charge rate, its a 2second check, literally!!!!)

- battery and alternator are ok but you may have a slipping belt?? you would hear this, basically meaning the alternator wouldnt be rotating as fast as it should therefore not charge properly coz belt is slipping on pulley.

- or this could be an ecu fault, if maybe you had a fault before its just not cleared it from the memory,, disconneting battery for 20mins should sort this (i doubt its this to be honest with that light anyway)

- earth connections are corroded or dirty meaning signal line for that light has to much resistence on it meaning the light will come on.

Thanks Rechard.

I have checked the fan belts and they look alright for me. I have disconnected the battery and reconnected after an hour and now I see my earlier fluctuations had been solved. But still the battery warning light is on. When I start the engine I don't see the warning light, exactly after a while probably 30 secs it appears again and stays on. When this light is on, I can feel the little difference / load on the engine.

Now, I have observed my heated front window button doesn't illuminate or doesn't work. But the rear one works well. Is this is causing the battery warning light?

I have been driving this car since 3 weeks with this problem. I am using heaters and lights etc as usual, but car did not stop even for a while.

How to solve my heated front window problem?

hmmm,

what happens when you rev the engine ??? does the light stay light or go off ???

rev it at about 4-5k revs for 10 seconds or so.

your front window heater may have been on perm before (a fault) and now its given up..

heaters are a large current drain from battery... try above test with no electics on at first, no lights, heaters fans,radio nothing..

I have got it checked today again the battery meter shows 85% recharging. With all full load (lights, head lights, radio plus heater) the meter shows 13.6 They said it should be 14.1

Thanks Burnerman.

Hey there. First of all i would like to apologize for the late post. Yeah about a year. I just badly need some sort of assistance here. The same thing had happend to my ghaia. already replaced the the plug to the alternator and the car runs well but only for three days. All stuff including the brake light stopped working, the car sputtered and died and would not restart. What are the possible causes of this issue? Anyone here know? it is that voltage regulator?

1267003860_76001983_1-2005-ford-focus-ghia-at-fresh-banaue-1267003860.jpg

Standard voltage regulator

Sponsored Links
Back