Ford fusion several problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 02 ford fusion. The speedometer stopped working on it and the garage said it showed a speed detection fault, it then suddenly started working. The very next day I had driven the car about a mile and stopped to pick something up and couldn't restart the car. It showed eac fail, it was towed to the garage and they checked it out and I was told it was a safety mechanism that would happen if the car overheated. While looking over it the mechanic asked if someone had repaired my clutch, I told him no I'd had it less than 3 months and had no repairs done on it. He pulled out some locking pliers and said that's what had been holding my clutch together, and showed me a small black box that he said was part of the clutch but that it had broken off and been shoved up the back. His advise was take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it but the dealer isn't interested. I don't know what to do next, I know nothing about cars

Sponsored Links
You need a motor engineers report and help from trading standards.
Ask trading standards if the dealer has any past history.
Work out how much you can afford to peruse this case.
How much it would cost to fix this problem using dealer parts and how much using used parts from a breaker such as Trents.

read this,
http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/legal-a...customers-legal-rights-when-buying-a-used-car

try to keep it amicable etc but if that dont work
then shove it up the dealers arriss,
tell to sort the problem out if not small claims court.
i had to endue a problem a few years ago when i bought a 2nd hand car,and after getting nowhere i ended up threatening the dealer(big garage),at the time it wouldve cost me about £75 to start proceedings,and it costs the dealer lots as he will no doubt need a lawyer.

Sponsored Links
The vehicle is twelve years old, and I reckon it all depends on what sort of 'warranty' -if any- was offered. The law is most evasive on how long a warranty period should last.
John :)

Thanks guys, i went back again today and mentioned the sale of goods act, fit for purpose and trading standards. The guy couldn't have been more helpful and the clip on the clutch (no idea what the proper name is lol) has now been fixed at his expense. The mechanic couldn't find a reason why it didn't start the other day and said its hard to find a fault once its corrected itself and that it could be a number if things or a one off, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If you do a search you'll find the throttle bodies as a common fault.

At 12 years a car won't be perfect. The dealer is being kind with the clutch to try and appease as it's a quick fix but I'd be surprised if you get far with the throttle body.

I wouldn't say he was being kind at all, the clip should have been there to begin with. I didn't expect it to be perfect but neither did i expect pliers yo be used in place of the proper thing.

The thing is, he wouldn't necessarily know that the clutch item was faulty......anyway, he has sorted that so that should be ok now.
Hopefully the starting problem has gone away!

The thing is, he wouldn't necessarily know that the clutch item was faulty......anyway, he has sorted that so that should be ok now.

dont matter john m8,
as the op has bought from a dealer IT becomes his problem.

isnt it amazing how when you mentioned the s.o.g act how amenable he became? :LOL:
thats because he knew the law and was trying a fast 1.

Well at least you got a free pair of mole grips out of it! Assuming you got to keep them.

dont matter john m8,
as the op has bought from a dealer IT becomes his problem.

isnt it amazing how when you mentioned the s.o.g act how amenable he became? :LOL:
thats because he knew the law and was trying a fast 1.

Again not disputing anything at all, but the sale of goods act doesn't apply for ever......the garage has either had a conscience or has been very upright in its approach. I've known warranties to last only a day, according to the seller.
Caveat emptor, I believe.
What happens when you buy an auction vehicle that's faulty? You have to return it pronto!

He probably bought the clip for under a fiver and snapped it into place himself. It's amazing how many skills a dealer can master.

He won't do the same with a 600 quid throttle body.

thats correct john it doesnt last forever,but thats why you/we have to read up on things like this.understand it and make it work to our advantage.
again it also states what happens when you buy privately or distance buying etc.
but as this was from a dealer they have an obligation to give a warranty on it and the onus (i do believe)is to make sure it is advertised correctly etc.

another good forum to read up on things like this,
money saving expert
loads of info on anything and everything.
;)

Sponsored Links
Back