Forever Young. A song for Wootton Bassett

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Get off the thread then you boring little man.

Ditto :LOL:

Yeah, who doesn't wanna listen to terrible music
1. Oh my god a soldier died!
2. Not really a shock...they do that, but it's sad ...just defending his country?
1...well no he was invading another country.
2. Oh, well I'm sure it was a danger to us right?
1. Well...actually...not really.
2. Oh...well I am sure he didn't have a choice...
1. Well he volunteered....
2... well...it's sad he died

skitzee2k

Whilst I find kids singing rather irksome and question the legitimacy of being in Afghanistan I am mindful of the fact that each of those people that have died (regardless of nationality) is likely to have left others behind who loved them.

At some point one of those bereaved might read your post.

If my son joined the army against my wishes and was killed I would be in bits. The fact that I didn't condone his actions would not negate the pain or deny me the right to grieve.

Show some compassion

edit---------- typo

skitzee2k

Whilst I find kids singing rather irksome and question the legitimacy of being in Afghanistan I am mindful of the fact that each of those people that have died (regardless of nationality) is likely to have left others behind who loved them.

If my son joined the army against my wishes and was killed I would be in bits. The fact that I didn't condone his actions would not negate the paint or deny me the right to grieve.

Show some compassion
hey, I agree its sad. However no more sad than anyone who died in a road accident or choking etc and I don't see many threads with tribute songs to them.....and they didn't even choose to go into a war zone

I appreciate your point.

By way of demonstrating my point- years ago a friend was killed in a hit and run, at the time there was only a scant description of the car. In a misguided effort to see if anyone could help I posted the story to a number of forums with a high google rankings.

In one of the forums it was treated as a complete joke. Worried that one day a child of my friend might stumble across the posts I had to ask for the thread to be deleted.

In your defence you were criticising the relatively new public displays of concern about the welfare of soldiers and you were not belittling the death of any individual. Never-the-less the way that you expressed that point was insensitive- especially given the longevity and searchability of posts on the internet.

Regards

skitzee2k

If my son joined the army against my wishes and was killed I would be in bits. The fact that I didn't condone his actions would not negate the paint or deny me the right to grieve.

Show some compassion
hey, I agree its sad. However no more sad than anyone who died in a road accident or choking etc and I don't see many threads with tribute songs to them.....and they didn't even choose to go into a war zone

Someone that agreed to fight in an illegal war, of their own choice, is no more a hero, than someone stuck down a mine. They both made a decision to do that. They both knew the risks. Someone that survives a car crash, or beats cancer, not a hero. They are a survivor. The heros, are the ones that were called up, against their will, to fight for our country. They are the ones that DIDN'T know the risks, but volunteered anyways. To be employed in a career, where you are made aware of the risks, doesn't make anyone a hero. It makes you ignornant, a wage getter, or a fool.

The hero's are the ones that dug that shaft, to rescue the miners, or the ones that recover the injured in the battlefield, but never recognised.

The hero's of war are dead. Long live the people that recover the living.

Sorry- I think you got muddled- how do conscripts volunteer?

I am not sure if you are confusing bravery with heroism.

Surely a hero is someone who knowingly risks worsening their position to improve the position of someone else. Whether they are paid or not is by the by.

Further the circumstances of their death does not mitigate the pain of those left behind.

Sorry- I think you got muddled- how do conscripts volunteer?

I am not sure if you are confusing bravery with heroism.

Surely a hero is someone who knowingly risks worsening their position to improve the position of someone else. Whether they are paid or not is by the by.

Further the circumstances of their death does not mitigate the pain of those left behind.

Not sure who that is aimed at but we are really losing track of the meaning of Hero.

I agree not everyone that dies doing their job is a hero.
A Hero is someone that acts heroic.

Someone who shows courage and or fortitude and willingly will self sacrifice for the good of humanity.

A man being stuck down a well or a soldier who gets blown up do not automatically become heroes.

If however you jump on a grenade to save other people when it wasn't expected of you..then yes, hero.

We have to be aware though that the word 'Hero' has been heavily heavily watered down now...it started off meaning you were literally divine in origin, to now a single mum who looks after her own kids is considered a 'hero'.

Hi skitzee2k

I agree with you last post

I was replying to mickymoody's post

and they didn't even choose to go into a war zone

So which armies allow their soldiers to choose which conflicts to take part in? :rolleyes:

Perhaps skitzee has just discovered the formula for World peace... If every person thought "Sooner or later my country may have a leader who may agree to a conflict I am not 100% behind (or opt out of a conflict I believe is just), but as I can't opt out of any decision made then I would be obliged to fight.", then no country would have armed forces. Apply the same logic to militia, terrorists or whatever other armed groups, and voila, no capability for violent conflict beyond what happens outside the kebab shop at 3am on a Saturday morning.

Give that man a seat at the UN.

Sponsored Links
Back