Formula 1 championship decider on Sunday.

Part of my working life was governance. Having read the f1 regulations and in particular the use of the safety car and my considered opinion is that Masi got it wrong and was unduly influenced by Horner.
The gala is on Thursday, the deadline for Mercedes to appeal to the arbitration is Thursday, the new FIA president gets voted for on Friday.
I hope and believe that Masi will be gone by Monday with changes to the regulations, preventing communications direct to the race director from the team, from next March.
We shall see :whistle:

Sponsored Links
FIA rejects Verstappen’s claim Safety Car was used ‘to make race more exciting’
2020 Eifel Grand Prix
Posted on
11th October 2020, 20:45 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine

'...“I don’t think we needed a Safety Car,” said Verstappen, who had been running second behind Lewis Hamilton at the time. “You could have done it with a Virtual Safety Car. But I think they just wanted to make it more exciting again because of the gaps.”

Masi denied this was the case, saying there were two reasons why the Safety Car was used in response to Norris stopping. “One was obviously Lando’s car had some smoke and fire, so that was one point,” he said.

“The other one was at first glance we weren’t confident that the car could actually be recovered into the opening that was there due to the tightness of it. So rather than having to react along the way, it was determined to go for a Safety Car. That way it could be dealt with all at once, immediately. So it’s the safest action in that circumstance.”

Verstappen was also unhappy about the length of time the Safety Car spent on-track in the cold conditions. He and other drivers complained about falling tyre temperatures prior to the restart.

“At the track here where it’s so cold with the tyres we have, you need to bring them up to temperature,” he said. “It was quite dangerous out there.

“The problem as well is that three or four cars are all the time behind the Safety Car [but] the others get the wave-around and they can warm up their tyres because they’re pushing. So it’s also an unfair advantage for the guys behind us. But anyway, we’ll talk about it and see what happens.”

The delay in ending the Safety Car period happened because of the length of time it took to wave the lapped cars through, said Masi.

“There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed. So from that point it was position six onwards that were still running. Between 10, 11 cars had to unlap themselves. And therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”... '

https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/11...fety-car-was-used-to-make-race-more-exciting/

FIA Sporting Regulations:-
https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110

-0-

FIA rejects Verstappen’s claim Safety Car was used ‘to make race more exciting’
2020 Eifel Grand Prix
Posted on
11th October 2020, 20:45 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine

'...“I don’t think we needed a Safety Car,” said Verstappen, who had been running second behind Lewis Hamilton at the time. “You could have done it with a Virtual Safety Car. But I think they just wanted to make it more exciting again because of the gaps.”

Masi denied this was the case, saying there were two reasons why the Safety Car was used in response to Norris stopping. “One was obviously Lando’s car had some smoke and fire, so that was one point,” he said.

“The other one was at first glance we weren’t confident that the car could actually be recovered into the opening that was there due to the tightness of it. So rather than having to react along the way, it was determined to go for a Safety Car. That way it could be dealt with all at once, immediately. So it’s the safest action in that circumstance.”

Verstappen was also unhappy about the length of time the Safety Car spent on-track in the cold conditions. He and other drivers complained about falling tyre temperatures prior to the restart.

“At the track here where it’s so cold with the tyres we have, you need to bring them up to temperature,” he said. “It was quite dangerous out there.

“The problem as well is that three or four cars are all the time behind the Safety Car [but] the others get the wave-around and they can warm up their tyres because they’re pushing. So it’s also an unfair advantage for the guys behind us. But anyway, we’ll talk about it and see what happens.”

The delay in ending the Safety Car period happened because of the length of time it took to wave the lapped cars through, said Masi.

“There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars passed. So from that point it was position six onwards that were still running. Between 10, 11 cars had to unlap themselves. And therefore the Safety Car period was a bit longer than what we would have normally expected.”... '

https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/11...fety-car-was-used-to-make-race-more-exciting/

FIA Sporting Regulations:-
https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110

-0-
I think there's a possibility, empip, that your point might be lost in the text.
By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume your point was that Masi had previously, in the 2020 race, stated that all lapped cars should be allowed to un-lap themselves, but he'd changed his interpretation of the rules for the most recent Abu Dhabi race, only allowing five cars (those between 1st and 2nd place) to un-lap themselves.

Part of my working life was governance. Having read the f1 regulations and in particular the use of the safety car and my considered opinion is that Masi got it wrong and was unduly influenced by Horner.
The gala is on Thursday, the deadline for Mercedes to appeal to the arbitration is Thursday, the new FIA president gets voted for on Friday.
I hope and believe that Masi will be gone by Monday with changes to the regulations, preventing communications direct to the race director from the team, from next March.
We shall see :whistle:
I'm not convinced that communication between race director and teams is a problem. The problem only arises if the race director, and his decision is influenced by the teams.
I see no reason why those communications should not be made public. I think it aids understanding of those decisions.
It also helps the public to see which teams, if any, are trying to unduly influence the race director.

Sponsored Links
Comms between the race director and team will stop next year I read somewhere.

Remember Masi took over from both Charlie Whitting and his helper who`s name I forget after the death of Charlie, this was a mistake and will be changed for next season and even though the FIA screwed up I cant see any MB appeal getting anywhere when the appeal panel is solely FIA members with no independent personnal.

I suspect next years car changes will see Mercedes regain dominance, unless Honda do some remarkable achievements with their engines over the winter.
Next years changes are mostly about wind flow over, around and under the cars, allowing easier following of other cars, which is where Mercedes struggled these last couple of years.
The engines remain more or less the same.
So the changes to downforce generated, and how that is generated will, I suspect, adversely affect Red Bull.

Next year Red Bull F1 will be using 'Red Bull' engines - ex Honda, with engineers from AMG Brixworth (I.e. Merceedes F1 engines), engineers who are also ex-Cosworth racing engines supported by Honda engineers. Sad to say I think Red Bull will be unstoppable/uncatchable - be interesting watching Perez to see how he gets on or progresses.

Next year Red Bull F1 will be using 'Red Bull' engines - ex Honda, with engineers from AMG Brixworth (I.e. Merceedes F1 engines), engineers who are also ex-Cosworth racing engines supported by Honda engineers. Sad to say I think Red Bull will be unstoppable/uncatchable - be interesting watching Perez to see how he gets on or progresses.
Link?

Oh i hope this is the case re the engines. I love the sound of the Honda engine. Its actually made v6 sound good again. And without the rocket engine advantage lets see how the Merc boys get on then.

Perez will be no where, another bottas,

There was a reason Perez was dropped like a hot stone by McLaren all them years ago at the point he should have been at the top of his game, he frankly isn't good enough.

This year has even made me think that Riccardo maybe past his best also.

There is too many great drivers that don't make it to F1 because of these has been hanger on's.

I think it's a great shame piastri hasn't been picked up after his win in f2 this year.

Perez will be no where, another bottas,

There was a reason Perez was dropped like a hot stone by McLaren all them years ago at the point he should have been at the top of his game, he frankly isn't good enough.

This year has even made me think that Riccardo maybe past his best also.

There is too many great drivers that don't make it to F1 because of these has been hanger on's.

I think it's a great shame piastri hasn't been picked up after his win in f2 this year.

Interesting to see how GR will do against the incredible sulk next year.

Interesting to see how GR will do against the incredible sulk next year.
I suspect many F1 fans are looking forward to the comparison between LH and GR, but without your obvious bigoted view.

I believe there are no engine changes for next year, and the Red Bull engines are not expected until 2025.
So LH may be considering retirement with 8 or 9 championships by then. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Back