Fossil fuels

S

SammyInnit

Apparently:

_104381779_mediaitem104381778.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46247339

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Does anybody think fossil fuels are still our future ?

Anybody think fracking is fully safe and nothing to worry about ?

Saying they're not the future is not the same as saying they're over.

They're far from wrapped up.

What are the alternatives ? Nuclear, more people seem to be concerned about this than using fossil fuels, but newer plants appear to be safe(r), but what would be the implications of hundreds more plants globally? Solar, manufacture of the panels is energy hungry so is a bit ironic, but if enough are built, the price would reduce so the energy would be greener to produce more panels. then you have the problem of where to put them all. Wind & wave/ hydro electric, again, where are all the turbines/pontoons going to go?
As for fracking, I don't think it is fully safe. Fracking is only viable if the price of oil stays high, if it drops below $50 a barrel profits will be minimal, if any, so they either stop fracking till the price goes up(which is costly to keep the plant maintained), or they try & reduce costs, some costs being cleaning up.

The fly in the ointment is cars and planes: neither can run on electricity such that they will get mainstream take-up.
For my money, they need a viable hydrogen infrastructure, which is unlikely until fossil fuels actually do approach the end.
As long as there are cheap and easy fossil fuels, alternatives will be niche.

viable if the price of oil stays high, if it drops below $50 a barrel profits will be minimal, if any, so they either stop fracking till the price goes up

Oil opinionists thought that OPEC could drive US fracking to bankruptcy and close it down by cutting the oil price, when the producers were new and had taken out big loans. That didn't work. Some of them now say that it will stabilise the price around $60.

Remember when we thought it would range around $100 and some people said we had reached Peak Oil? That lasted until 2014. We might have passed Peak Oil Demand, though.

I imagine that with experience and improvements in technology and transportation, the US price will tend to fall.

When Trump goes, maybe US environmental protection will have more of a chance.

African Solar is likely to grow a lot.

I only know one place in the world where the colonial power destroys solar plant erected for the indigenous population.

Screenshot_2018-11-18 ICE Brent Crude Oil Front Month price information - FT com.png

now $59.70, but too soon to say where it will settle.

Supply exceeds demand, even though winter has started in the prosperous North.

https://www.ft.com/content/c1292c22...egmentId=786c7e0e-fcc5-282a-7c0e-74ecfe4825a7

“The reality is that consumption is slowing at the same time as crude production is rising,” said Konstantinos Venetis, senior economist at TS Lombard. “Softer restrictions on Iran have changed the arithmetic, however, raising the possibility of a supply glut developing in 2019.”

They're still getting more expensive. Currently renovated my son's bedroom - planning to put more insulation in here than the 2 north bedrooms, so if in the future bills get too high (and he leaves home) we can move into his bedroom. Thinking ahead... my household electric and gas is already £120 a month. Need to keep insulating!

What are the alternatives ?

If you have the space, things like ground source heat pumps, wind and solar might be a good investment. Long pay back, but might just be in time if you are still 20 years from retirement.

I see the worlds first plane has flown that has a propulsion system with no moving parts.

And Scotland get 95% of its fuel from wind.

No doubt funded by the Barnett formula

What are the alternatives ? Nuclear, more people seem to be concerned about this than using fossil fuels, but newer plants appear to be safe(r), but what would be the implications of hundreds more plants globally?
Nuclear is the safest energy source we have, but yes some people are scared of it.
Solar, manufacture of the panels is energy hungry so is a bit ironic,
Carbon footprint is similar to wind and nuclear. ie. low.
There is the question of where do you get the rare earth metals from though, in terms of environmental footprint.
but if enough are built, the price would reduce so the energy would be greener to produce more panels.
Indeed. Price is coming down.

then you have the problem of where to put them all.
Plenty of roof space. And we have the potential to install solar CSP in deserts. Not much use for the UK, but we aren't the only

Wind & wave/ hydro electric, again, where are all the turbines/pontoons going to go?
In the UK, mostly Scotland.
As for fracking, I don't think it is fully safe. Fracking is only viable if the price of oil stays high, if it drops below $50 a barrel profits will be minimal, if any, so they either stop fracking till the price goes up(which is costly to keep the plant maintained), or they try & reduce costs, some costs being cleaning up.
Oil will be for transport mostly, whereas gas would compete with the above.

Basically, we need far more nuclear power, and some more wind/solar.
We still need gas & oil though for the time being. Don't know of an alternative to fracking unfortunately. Many people are dead against, but then drive a car.

Sponsored Links
Back