Foundation size for New Garden Wall Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to replace a single skin wall with a double brick wall length of 10.2 metres (33'-6 inch) and height 5 foot (1.5m) How deep must the foundation be please below ground and what depth of concrete would be needed. Also, what width of concrete for 2 x brick width of 8 inches or so? Much Appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would use 2' wide and 8" thick. I would dig your trench right through the top soil or down to 2'. Garden contain a lot of soft earth and roots, you would not want the wall to fall over. Build the underground bit of the wall with flat laid medium density blocks or foundation blocks.
Frank

Thanks for that Frank, Just one more thing please, My neighbour has the same existing single skin wall next to mine, but does not want to replace it. Mine is developing cracks -so I'll have to build a pillar where my double skin wall starts at his border. Would I need any more pillars over this 10m length? (I'll pick facing bricks to keep the same style) Cheers again.

9" wall at 5' high on decent foundations will not need pillars, a 4 1/2" wall at 6' does :~)
Frank

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back