Foundation size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to have a free standing garden wall built in an L shape from dressed stone under 1m high.

I'm not sure yet what width the stone will be. Can anyone tell me please the formula I will need to work out the width and depth of the foundation I will need and what depth the top of the foundation needs to be below the ground level. Also does the foundation have to extend beyond both ends of the wall? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is no magic formula! You need to consider local ground conditions.

generally, if you dig down about 600mm or so and lay a foundation that is 200mm wider than the wall you should be ok. this will allow a 100mm projection of concrete each side of the masonry.

150mm thickness of concrete will be ok.

these pointers apply to a 1m high wall, digging into undisturbed virgin earth and are a guideline only. common sense will tell you that if you are fishing out beer cans and old kettles after 600mm then dig on. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back