Foundations lower on one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, happy Easter!

I am embarking on a sort of self-build extension. I've dug the footings and had them filled with concrete but the surface isn't quite level - one corner is about 90mm lower than the other.

My builder had suggested I put some shuttering around and fill with more concrete to level it out.

Is this going to be ok? Is there anything further I should do to strengthen it or bond it to the existing concrete?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi all, happy Easter!

I am embarking on a sort of self-build extension. I've dug the footings and had them filled with concrete but the surface isn't quite level - one corner is about 90mm lower than the other.

My builder had suggested I put some shuttering around and fill with more concrete to level it out.

Is this going to be ok? Is there anything further I should do to strengthen it or bond it to the existing concrete?

Thank you
Shuttering, are your foundations above ground level?

You could drill holes to the poured footings and set in some short lengths of rebar using resin fixings which will help bond the top up pour to the rest of it. Make sure you allow enough cover over the rebar for a decent thickness of concrete.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, happy Easter!

Thank you
I'd be more inclined to deal with the discrepancy with masonry.

90mm! :eek:

Have you asked your BCO ?
I haven't spoken to the bco about this yet, no. Do you think it's something they would advise on?

It's over a span of 8m so it's not really that noticeable until you actually get a level on it.

I wondered why not masonry but I'm just going on the suggestion of the builder.

Thanks for all your advice so far.

He's not a builder.

He should sort out and mark the DPC level and guage down from that at each corner.

He should then work out the size step required and where it should go.

Do not tell the inspector.

sounds like a pig in the brickwork coming.....

trying to add to the foundation just adds a weakness in my opinion -its ok at 90 mm but what happens when you get below 30mm, the aggregate will be bigger than the the thickness.

from about 9 minutes in -a good explanation of how to deal with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back