foundations over sewer pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i'm in very early stages of considering applying to extend the front of my house but don't want to go the expense of planning applications etc if the sewer pipes under my house are going to make building costs prohibitive.

the image below shows two 150mm diameter pipes (brown and blue drawn to scale) and a 150mm exclusion zone in turquoise either side of them according to the water company's requirements for no foundations in that area.

you will see the dark black box indication where the outside wall of a single story extension would go.

could someone advise what kind of work would be required to build the extension in the position shown? would i be able to get away with lintels over the drains etc? my concern is the top right corner in the image which has the corner of the extension and front wall sitting on top of the extension.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 11.46.46.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 11.46.46.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
So is the position of the drains on your plan show the actual confirmed position or a position copied from a water company plan or other similar plan? Also what is the depth? And are you confident a front extension will get planning as they are usually resisted.

Other houses on the street have similar extensions at the front already. i'm quite confident the positions of the pipes are quite accurate based on measurements i've made on features like manhole outside my property etc.

depth is around 1.2m down from top left corner (rough estimate based on depth at nearest manhole)

Sponsored Links
That will have to be one hell of a lintel to span that exclusion zone on the front elevation. More like a reinforced concrete ground beam maybe with pads either side, still feasible though if slightly more expensive.

that was my worry, costs involved outweighing the benefit.

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but, given the position of the sewer pipes. Anyone able to roughly estimate total build cost of this? including an RSJ due to the living room wall being knocked through.

Attachments

• house complete.PDF
    96.1 KB · Views: 132
I can't see any significant cost in bridging those pipes over and above a normal 1.2m deep strip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back