Foundations required for 6' wall on a hill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone please advise what depth foundations are required for a 6' double breeze block wall that supports approx 10' long by 22' wide soil/gravel and will have 2 cars on top?
(there is already a block wall at the higher up side supporting the ground from above.)

The hill is quite steep.

Will less than a foot be adequate?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but you're talking a serious wall here!!! You'll have to go down probably 3 foot, before you even think about going up! And a double breeze block wall may not be enough.

The wall will probably require a cantilever footing or something

A normal strip footing will slide down the hill

Sponsored Links
what's a cntilever footing?

dad has quite a steep bank ( about 1:1 ) at the back of his rather small garden ( about 10ft long one end, 12 the other, and probably only 18 ft wide.. ), and I was thinking he might be able to put a deck out the back of it if he could get some decent footings...
I've no idea if this would be legal since I'm prety certain he doesn't own the land, but it's useless land as it is..backs onto a trading estate..

It's a wall and foundation in a "L" shape, where the foundation is the horizontal bit and this goes back into the hill and helps to resist the force of the earth pushing the wall outwards

Cheers, in that case I think I need to get onto the council soonest..

for starters it needs planning permission because of change of land use and the height, also to ensure that it's built properly as its holding back a lot from falling onto houses below.

I'm glad you asked for advice before building it, and so too are the houses below it i'm sure!

I'm not building it, a polish builder is building it for the houses above my terrace :D

The Planning enforcement team are now involved.

Are there any building regulations involved & if so what are they please?
Links would be excellent.

Damn builder is mixing concrete at this moment to go in the 8" holes. :(

This is getting good, got pics?

pop.gif

I have yes but I cant post them quite yet.

Planning came round today & had their look & are going to also get onto the building regs dept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back