Foundations

O

oompah

How deep does a ring perimeter have tobe to support a 3x3 1 foot thick concrete raft for footings on a small extension. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
why are you using a raft type foundation?

what are the ground conditions?

what does your drawing/building control officer stipulate?

The original house was built in 1986 and the ground out the back of the house is made up.My builder asked a young whipper snapper of a inspector but he got a bit of a blank look back.We are only at the looking if it is possible to build stage. :LOL:

what is the building going to be used for. will it be dwelling or a shed/conservatory?

Sponsored Links
dwelling,it would tag on the back of the house to give me a down stairs cloakroom. :LOL:

oompah said:

you will need reg's.

if it is made up ground then you may have to sit the building on piles with a ring beam. b.c. should advise, but you may need to seek the help of a structural engineer.

Would it be better if we dug down until we got to firmer ground,would it be cheaper in the long run? :LOL:

oompah said:
Would it be better if we dug down until we got to firmer ground,would it be cheaper in the long run? :LOL:

possibly, it would depend on the depth of the unstable ground.

A neighbour 4 houses away built a 2 storey extension and had to go down at least 6 feet :LOL:

oompah said:
A neighbour 4 houses away built a 2 storey extension and had to go down at least 6 feet :LOL:

not ideal i know! but still just within the realms of a mini digger and some 25mm ply shoring with 4"x2" props.

Sounds to me like it could get very expensive still cheaper than moving though. :LOL:

Rafts have to be designed, and not just guessed at - otherwise they are likely to fail.

If your ground is known to have poor load bearing capacity, then you would be wise to get it professionally tested and a solution formulated by an engineer.

Rafts are liable to move, and if a strip is impractical then mini-piles may be a better option.

£600 now is a lot cheaper than £20k later in repairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back