Fox cubs in garden

Thanks guys. The reason I feed the cubs is (a) wife pressure "they are so cute" (b) I have closed the gap in the fence where mother gets in from and mother had not been seen for a few days (she managed to break through again though) (c) there is no point chasing them or torturing them, they have nowhere to go

I did laugh at the joke but we live in England who have taken it upon themselves to lead the world in "equality" never mind the locals

Foxes are very daring, arrogant, and vicious of course I'd gladly shoot one in my garden but not the cubs or their mother - there are so many foxes around dozens, in broad daylight, like stray dogs in third world countries except less brave

I was thinking of getting a dog to chase the foxes away from my garden which seems to have become a hotel for foxes and badgers

Sponsored Links
I had a badger where I used to live. I liked it.

I say a badger. I only ever saw one at a time, there may have been more but, although you shouldn't say it, they all look the same.

I'd rather have foxes than a dog.

Of course the mother fox will attempt to get to her cubs, denying her access is cruel imho

see no reason to shoot the fox or any other fox tbh . I must see at least 3 or4 foxes a week dead on the side of the road were they have been hit by cars
in my travels. quite a few badgers as well.

then you have the fruit cakes in the tory party trying to bring back fox hunting.

Allowing a bunch of crazies to dress up & charge around the country side with a pack of dogs chasing a fox until it is exhausted so the dogs can rip it apart.

and call it sport or entertainment

w***ers

Keeping the mother away is deffo cruel. You've now got cubs who do not have a mother to feed and teach them, nor one to lead them away when old enough. You've admitted that there is nowhere for them to go so they will starve to death and be more likely troublesome to you or neighbours looking for food and you've made matters worse.

Please, just call someone to help.

http://foxproject.org.uk/
http://www.nfws.org.uk/
https://www.wildlifeaid.org.uk/
www.harperaspreywildliferescue.co.uk

All the above are in Surrey.

Once they've gone and got some help, please then make your garden secure. Don't leave any food around, secure any rubbish bins etc. Hopefully you'll not get this problem in the future.

Sponsored Links
Of course the mother fox will attempt to get to her cubs, denying her access is cruel imho

see no reason to shoot the fox or any other fox tbh . I must see at least 3 or4 foxes a week dead on the side of the road were they have been hit by cars
in my travels. quite a few badgers as well.

then you have the fruit cakes in the tory party trying to bring back fox hunting.

Allowing a bunch of crazies to dress up & charge around the country side with a pack of dogs chasing a fox until it is exhausted so the dogs can rip it apart.

and call it sport or entertainment

w***ers
Fox hunting is animal cruelty dressed up as tradition. If I had a choice I would prefer to watch certain politicians being ripped apart by dogs rather than some dumb animal.

foxes are intelligent enough to walk away when a dog runs at them, and come back when it's gone inside.

they don't usually attack cats, but can do if unable to fend for themselves for example if sick or injured. This may also lead to strange behaviour such as coming in to houses looking for food.

They do smell a bit but they avoid large, mature male carnivores, so if you wee round the house after the Sunday roast or a steak, they will avoid it. A sweaty man's vest may also work.

In town they mostly feast on discarded burgers and insecure binbags.

They are territorial, so once the youngsters have grown, there will only be one in your neighbourhood. When it dies another will move in.

They're native British wildlife so I wouldn't try to exterminate them, just take steps to control nuisance by using secure rubbish bins with lids. They are intelligent, inquisitive and playful and a pleasure to watch.

Don't try to tame them or habituate them to people, they will be safer and less of a nuisance if they are scared and keep away,

There are plenty of other British vermin that are more of a nuisance.

Dont worry about your Fox Problem, Vote Tory in the forthcoming election and Theresa May will sort it out for you !!!

..........Are you sure it was a fox that bit your cats tail, normally foxes are frightened of cats,

Both our cats have been attacked by foxes. I caught one of them, thank ****, ragging my cat in the garden and you could have stuffed a pillow with the fur that came out. Cat went into shock and had to be taken to emergency vet at 5:00 in the morning. Had perfect teeth puncture marked either side of her neck too.

On the other hand, I've seen a cat chase a screaming fox!

foxes are intelligent enough to walk away when a dog runs at them,

There was old fox near Wing ( Near Aylesbury ) in the 1950's who when chased by the hunt would often run alongside the railway line and, if the opportunity arose, dart across the track a few yards in front of a train. I was told that happened several times and some hounds were killed by trains before the hunt decided to not chase that particular fox again. ( source my aunt and uncle who lived in Wing at the time )

Sponsored Links
Back