Framed shower screen bottom not sitting flushed with the tiles

Reaction score
Country
Australia
May I please seek your advice on the framed shower screen that is installed by the builder in new built house (yes not a diy job hence not suitable oreganos for this forum but I will value your input).
Framed shower screen installed in two bathroom that shows same problem. The inside of the shower frame that has a door in built is not sitting flushed to the tiled floor. Please refer the pictures. Do you think this is standard? I could not find reasonable material on Australian standard for framed shower screen. The view of the picture showing gap is from the inside of the shower.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.png
    IMG_3900.png
    726.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3893.jpeg
    IMG_3893.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
May I please seek your advice on the framed shower screen that is installed by the builder in new built house (yes not a diy job hence not suitable oreganos for this forum but I will value your input).
Framed shower screen installed in two bathroom that shows same problem. The inside of the shower frame that has a door in built is not sitting flushed to the tiled floor. Please refer the pictures. Do you think this is standard? I could not find reasonable material on Australian standard for framed shower screen. The view of the picture showing gap is from the inside of the shower.
That's what proprietary seals or silicone was invented for. The odd tile may sit a fraction lower than its neighbour, meaning something straight will not touch.

Sponsored Links
Is the whole of the bathroom floor tiled? Basically a wet room setup? The gap may be where the fall/channelling of the (edit)tile has been formed to allow the water to run towards the drain. If that's the case then water shouldn't run up through that gap.

If it's not part of the formed floor for drainage and they should be level then the tiles have been poorly installed and shouldn't be that far out. If it's a new build then I'd put that down as part of the snagging list.

Last edited:
Is the whole of the bathroom floor tiled? Basically a wet room setup? The gap may be where the fall/channelling of the time has been formed to all the water to run towards the drain. If that's the case then water shouldn't run up through that gap.

If it's not part of the formed floor for drainage and they should be level then the tiles have been poorly installed and shouldn't be that far out. If it's a new build then I'd put that down as part of the snagging list.
Yes whole floor is tiled and you echo all the points that I had thought of too
1. There is tile slope to manage the water flow, but water still splatters everywhere and I see this gap as a place where no brush can get and gunk will start to collect in there (I do not like the idea of such a broad plate for shower recess.
Like you said , yes it is in my snagging list for builder to fix. But I wonder how they will fix it. It is a big gap for silicone to fill in

Thanks for assuring that I wasn't the one thinking oddly.

That's what proprietary seals or silicone was invented for. The odd tile may sit a fraction lower than its neighbour, meaning something straight will not touch.
That gap is a lot for a silicone to fill in unfortunately.

Yes whole floor is tiled and you echo all the points that I had thought of too
1. There is tile slope to manage the water flow, but water still splatters everywhere and I see this gap as a place where no brush can get and gunk will start to collect in there (I do not like the idea of such a broad plate for shower recess.
Like you said , yes it is in my snagging list for builder to fix. But I wonder how they will fix it. It is a big gap for silicone to fill in

Thanks for assuring that I wasn't the one thinking oddly.
If it's there as part of the floor design and the fall formed into the tiling to allow it to run towards the drain then it isn't really a snagging issue, as it's supposed to be there but that would indicate that there shouldn't have been an enclosure or door etc installed as part of the design then. If the shower enclosure/glass/door is there as part of the design then the fall should be contained within the footprint of the enclosure and the tile around the edge should be level to the screen, if so then it would be a snagging issue

The only way that could be fixed properly though is destructively - lift the tile, clear out the space and re-lay. A fudge would be to fit a formed seal along the whole bottom edge, certainly not what I would want on a new build.

If it's there as part of the floor design and the fall formed into the tiling to allow it to run towards the drain then it isn't really a snagging issue, as it's supposed to be there but that would indicate that there shouldn't have been an enclosure or door etc installed as part of the design then. If the shower enclosure/glass/door is there as part of the design then the fall should be contained within the footprint of the enclosure and the tile around the edge should be level to the screen, if so then it would be a snagging issue

The only way that could be fixed properly though is destructively - lift the tile, clear out the space and re-lay. A fudge would be to fit a formed seal along the whole bottom edge, certainly not what I would want on a new build
"Correct"- This is right- If the shower enclosure/glass/door is there as part of the design then the fall should be contained within the footprint of the enclosure and the tile around the edge should be level to the screen, if so then it would be a snagging issue.
And yes I would not like building a little platform around the shower but I guess that is the only solution.

I need to tenant this property out and ensuring I do not leave any nook or corner out where gunk can collect over period is important. Had I been living there, I guess I will bite the bullet and maintain it clean.

Either that or make certain cleaning operations part of the agreement
Yes you are right, something straight upfront means less disappointment later- Thank you so much Rob!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back