Framework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Our stairs are in between 2 supporting walls.

We had a small banister at the top but I took it out because it's not child friendly (can't get a stair gate fixed).

I am planning to build a half height stud wall in it's place and have it boarded and plastered so it looks like a continuation of the wall, however one top corner of the framework will be free so i'm just wondering what's the best way to make it a strong as I can.

The protrusion from the wall one side will be fixed to will be about 500mm

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why didnt you just add timber to the banister until you could get a fixing for your gate
the trouble you will have is getting a structure that dosn't wobble as its only butt joined and screwed

By fixing, I mean the banister has spindles which have gaps between them, yes...

Well the opposite side of the bannister, where the other side of the gate would fix to would be right in light with the spacing of the bannister, so one side of the gate would be hung in mid air.

Unfortunately the is no movement what-so-ever as putting it in line with the end post of the bannister would mean securing the other side of the gate to a bedroom door, and even if you could fix to one of the spindles it would be to far down the top of the stairs!

This is what I mean http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17364485

Sponsored Links
Build it as the diagram and fit internal diagonal braces from corner to corner instead of the crucifix type and make them snug as you can preferably using 4 X 2 timber for the whole thing and it will be sturdy enough, especially if only about 500mm wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back