Free Software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning Chaps and Chapesses.

I am being offered free security software via the Ulster Bank to top up my online protection

The spiel claims

To help protect you online, we're offering free security software called Rapport, from the financial security experts at Trusteer. Rapport works with your antivirus and firewall software - it's not designed to replace this valuable protection.

* Shields your online banking details from prying eyes
* Safeguards your identity
* Protects your details, even if your PC is infected

and it Works alongside your antivirus and firewall - simply keep your current protection in place, and enjoy the extra protection of Rapport

Is this worth having? Will it slow my PC down?

Regards All

Sponsored Links
The RBS offer it too.
It sits on your address bar and checks the authenticity of any sites that you are on.

If you look for the Padlock symbol in the status bar (at the bottom) when you go on a secure site and check that the address begins https instead of http, (note the 's' at the end) then you are on a safe site and don't really need the nagging that Rapport does.
I tried it for a few days but uninstalled it because it can be a pita.
dave

If you read the small print of the RBS instructions, unless, I am mistaken, if you do not use this free software in conjunction with their internet banking site & encounter problems with security, then I am given the impression that they will use this as a get out clause for any future claims against them. :(

Sponsored Links
If you read the small print of the RBS instructions, unless, I am mistaken, if you do not use this free software in conjunction with their internet banking site & encounter problems with security, then I am given the impression that they will use this as a get out clause for any future claims against them. :(

jj,
From the RBS site:

Will it work on my PC?

Yes, if you’re using:

* Windows XP and Windows Vista (32-bit edition only)
* Internet Explorer 6, 7 and 8
* Firefox 2 and 3

At the moment, the software will not work with:

* MAC OS
* 64 Bit Operating Systems
* AOL and BT Yahoo browsers
* Modified Browsers

So, if you ain't got a WinXP or Vista 32bit you cannot use it.
Not much point in insisting that customers use a program that is so limited in where it will work.
If you copy and paste the small print that you have read, I would be interested so as to take it up with the abnk.

dave

This looks like another way for the banks to try and dodge their responsibilities. It's outrageous that they can suggest that if you don't use their software then they can make you responsible if something goes wrong. What if you use it, and something still goes wrong? Imagine how difficult it will be for you to get the bank to cover your loss if your savings vanish overnight and you have this installed. They'll just tell you that they've covered their end, and it must have been your fault.

It's a cheap dodge. If the banks want us to use on-line banking, then they either need to spend the money on proper hardware solutions, or they need to guarantee to cover losses if they stick with the current system. This sort of software is simply not good enough.

jj,
From the RBS site:

Will it work on my PC?

Yes, if you’re using:

* Windows XP and Windows Vista (32-bit edition only)

If you copy and paste the small print that you have read, I would be interested so as to take it up with the abnk.

dave
Dave I do not seem to be able to find the exact words that I received in an online message from the bank, but I do remember feeling it was a bit cheeky that they were insisting that I installed a particular piece of software, this is the only reference I can find at the moment & it does not seem to be as intimidating as I remember it being at the time. http://www.rbs.co.uk/global/f/secur...-yourself/computer/rapport.ashx#tabs=section2

More info on it here.

I have it running on IE8 as an RBS customer, with no problems.

Shy its says it checks for the bank before releasing the info but isnt that what the padlock and secure transactions do anyway,send stuff encrypted?

It's got a built-in keylogger as well. Plus other bits. Doubling up on everything I've got on the pc as it is, but, if the bank want me to put it on there and it's not upsetting anything, then I'm happy to.

when you say built in keylogger do you mean anti keylogger? bit like KeyScrambler?

Just two small questions:

If your account is raided and you inform the bank, how are they going to know if you had this software installed, and more importantly, enabled when the culprits got your details?

And how do they know that you are not using one of these:confused:

At the moment, the software will not work with:

* MAC OS
* 64 Bit Operating Systems
* AOL and BT Yahoo browsers
* Modified Browsers

No idea. Maybe it registers something with the cookies, or makes one of its own. I've yet to try from another pc which doesn't have it installed and which will then be prompted to load it, at which time I can re-read the small print.

Disable Rapport for all but the pre-defined bank or ecom' sites one uses.
Run it if the Bank says 'Do it!'
He who pays the piper and all that guff.
:D

Sponsored Links
Back