Letter boxes- keeping your post safe

I have perused the idea before of building a lockable parcel type box where the lid is lifted, parcel placed in then somehow it gets moved to secure storage when the lid is closed.

twas an idea only lol

However more & more required these days given that we get a lot delivered via the web.

A bit like banks' night safes?

Sponsored Links
More like a big box firmly attached in the back yard, lift the lid up - place parcel in.
During the action of closing the lid, little elves come out and move parcel to lower level that cannot be got to when the lid is open.

I never built it due to the shortage of little elves :)

More like a big box firmly attached in the back yard, lift the lid up - place parcel in.
During the action of closing the lid, little elves come out and move parcel to lower level that cannot be got to when the lid is open.

Early this year I've fitted a rubbish chute door type you see in tall building into my porch wall!

Best things I've ever done, no more trip to post office collection!

Our postman and delivery drivers are happy delivering to us and because the parcels is inside the porch they are allow to sign for it :)

I did this because of the more ever popular online delivery

Sponsored Links
night safe chutes used to have a revolving drum, but only had to accommodate little leather bags of standard size.

There are "deposit safes" which have a moving trapdoor operated by opening and shutting the front door, I haven't seen the mechanism but I expect it works on levers and pivots so could probably be copied with drilled steel strip and a few bolts.

I wonder where we can find a diagram?

this sort of thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-CAS...5?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item35b60c7da3

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Early this year I've fitted a rubbish chute door type you see in tall building into my porch wall!

Best things I've ever done, no more trip to post office collection!

Our postman and delivery drivers are happy delivering to us and because the parcels is inside the porch they are allow to sign for it :)

I did this because of the more ever popular online delivery

That rubbish shute type door is a good idea. I could put one in the side of the garage here. I work from home, these days so deliveries aren't that much of a problem, but I'm still stuck for going out if I'm waiting on a signed for delivery.

will you be able to prevent burglars shoving their urchins in?

will you be able to prevent burglars shoving their urchins in?
Yeah, put a notice on the outside.

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE DOG

:)

You're right though, that could possibly be a problem, although at the moment most deliverers here just leave the stuff in an unlocked shed. Had no problem with that so far. Pretty rural here.

If we're not in they leave packages in the blue bin. Fortunately, that's the one for waste paper and not food waste.

Personally, I'd prefer the option with little elves inside. Then, if the local yobs throw fireworks in, the elves can throw them back at them. Do they sell them on Fleabay?

Somebody left a parcel for my neighbour in his bin

When he came back from holiday, where was it?

Of course if you have an item that needs to be signed for this will be delivered to the door to obtain the signature...

I'm always getting 'signed for' mail pushed through my letterbox. No-one ever asks me to sign for them!

It occurs to me that someone, somewhere is paying extra for a 'signed for' service that doesn't really exist.
I understand the reason for signed for is insurance(?)

I sometimes consider taking in something valuable that has been posted as 'signed for' and then claiming that it was never delivered. There would be no signature and therefore no proof that it was ever delivered. ;)
It's all about trust and from what I understand, if they went for claiming then they'll be blacklisted therefore every parcels have to be signed for in the future plus a possible warning letter to the postman which won't go down very well!

Of course if you have an item that needs to be signed for this will be delivered to the door to obtain the signature...

I'm always getting 'signed for' mail pushed through my letterbox. No-one ever asks me to sign for them!

It occurs to me that someone, somewhere is paying extra for a 'signed for' service that doesn't really exist.
I understand the reason for signed for is insurance(?)

I sometimes consider taking in something valuable that has been posted as 'signed for' and then claiming that it was never delivered. There would be no signature and therefore no proof that it was ever delivered. ;)
It's all about trust and from what I understand, if they went for claiming then they'll be blacklisted therefore every parcels have to be signed for in the future plus a possible warning letter to the postman which won't go down very well!

Well that's reasonable enough, but what if something really isn't delivered? Things occasionally really do get lost in the post.

Sponsored Links
Back