Royal Mail

Royal Mail are cr ap!

I had to post some documents last Saturday and was asked if there were 'valuable' items in the envelope. When I replied they were Court documents the PO guy suggested First Class Mail would be sufficient. It cost me £1.24 to send them and he assured me they should arrive first thing Monday morning.

It is now Wednesday night, the documents have not arrived. I now have to copy them all again, (3 sets at 13 pages each set), send them registered post for guaranteed delivery, (but not guaranteed to arrive next day unless I pay the extra fee), and the fee is likely to be around £6.50! Not to mention the time spent on the phone to the Court each day to see if they have arrived. Plus the time, cost and frustration involved phoning Royal Mail on an 0344 number with, as JBR has stated, about 5 different options with half a dozen sub options to go through, before finally getting an automatic response telling me the department I was trying to contact, (complaints), was a different number and to hang up and ring it direct.

I calm down enough to ring this other number, another 0345, go through another 3 options with various sub options to be once again told by an automatic voice that standard first class and second class missing mail cannot be tracked as they don't have the facilities to do so!

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
The general impression that I get about Royal Mail is that no-one really cares enough, or has any incentive, to make improvements to their services.

I think the retribution for my complaining has begun.

A very kind lady from a house number the same as mine, but a couple of streets away, has given me a 'Sorry you were out' card posted in her letterbox this morning.

I telephoned Royal Snail to complain (again). Details taken, reference numbers given, assured that the matter would be dealt with and informed me that the earliest they can re-deliver is Wednesday. No doubt then filed in the dustbin.

I politely apologised for complaining so much, but suggested that the number of complaints might reflect the consistent incompetence of their postmen. I also asked whether they check for dyslexia before employing their staff.

I know, I just can't help myself.

In their defence, I think the RM are still the best of the bunch - I know a few of them from my local boozer and they (the long-term employees, at least) still have quite a strong sense of decency and a desire to get the job done properly... they are acting under the increased pressure applied mercilessly by the senior management, to "increase productivity". All part of the faster/cheaper modern way...
At least RM have some legacy of brand image left over from the days when "Royal Mail" meant something... today's couriers range widely from professional and well-managed to down-right amateurish and untrustworthy - again, I've known a couple of lads who've worked as drivers / sorters and the stories would make your hair curl (assuming you have any ;))
Best of the bunch in my experience is UPS although I doubt they're immune to corner cutting - not generally the drivers fault tho' - they trying to get an impossible job done under very tough circumstances... blame the bosses, as usual.
Had to laugh the other week when I ordered rad.s from Wickes - they subcontract delivery to cheap local couriers and when after several false starts (being 'carded' as its known in the trade), the bloke arrived with my rads., he wanted me to go down the road (he wouldn't drive down my cul de sac) and help him unpack and carry the bloody things, one at a time... 'too heavy', he said - 'Sac truck, mate???' I replied. 'They don't give us one' was his answer.

Sponsored Links
BTW, I forgot to say that the Wickes customer service bloke told me that the courier driver is supposed to take a photo of the property on the occasion of their leaving a card to tell you they had tried, as part of their audit trail. I gather this is general practice amongst the better couriers.
Another amusing (well, it seems funny now...) part of the tale of woe that was the delivery of my rad.s was the fact that I was 'carded' 3x according to the delivery tracking, but in actual fact I only ever saw 1 out of 3 of the alleged cards. 'Oh well I guess they'd run out of cards!' was the almost incredible response from the dispatcher...

Whilst I'm not disputing mismanagement and pressure of work, neither of these things would account for the postman misreading the address, as happened today (and previously on several occasions).

Neither does it excuse the problem that prompted me to begin this thread: dropping a 'Sorry you were out' card without ringing the doorbell or knocking (see my first post). If the guy is going to go to the trouble of walking up the (admittedly rather long) path to post the card, he could just have easily rung the bell. I can usually answer the door in under half a minute (unless I happen to be on the toilet at the time).

Our postie received a £10 thank you from us last Christmas. Never again.

Back