Opting out of Junk Mail

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
As you know, the Post Office delivers lots of Junk Mail and adverts. Because they make a lot of money out of it, they make it difficult for people to stop it (as is our right)

For example, I have been searching the Royal Mail website today trying to find out how to do it.

I looked on "Which" and they said (in 2006):
"...Which? extensively checked the Royal Mail website early on 30 August, we found no details of how to opt out. Since we contacted Royal Mail, it has highlighted these details on the front page of its site. A spokesman claimed the information was always on the site but failed to give a specific location for it."

However:
"You can opt out of 'door-to-door' unsolicited mail that Royal Mail distributes - items just addressed to 'The Occupier', with no address - by calling 0845 7950 950 or by emailing [email protected] "
or you can write to
Freepost RRBT-ZBXB-TTTS
Royal Mail Door to Door Opt Outs
Kingsmead House
Oxpens Road
OXFORD
OX1 1RX

they will send you a form to return (perhaps they hope you will forget to send it back)

junk mail which is sent by advertisers who know your name and address can be reduced by registering at http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html

I hope you find this useful.

Sponsored Links
Cheers John, I'm sick of the stuff, just opted out and registered with mps.
The Royal Mail email the door to door form and it's a free post address for return.

We get the crap all the time and am tempted, but I think the posties get a bit more money for all the crap they have to deliver and ours is a great service for a rural area.
So I don't wont to do our postie out of a few extra quid for stuff I throw straight in the recycling bin.

Sponsored Links
According to my postie its overtime for them if they deliver junk mail, either do that or go back to the sorting office after your round and stay till 5pm helping out, guess that why many decide to deliver leaflets :confused:

Thanks for the idea, I am sick of having more domino's pizza leaflet's than actual mail :evil:

Beware this wont stop local takeaway menus and charity bags being delivered.

I cant remember the last time we bought bin liners. :LOL: ;)

And half the charity bags arent even for charities now, they are for these places that send them abroad to SELL! :confused:

The thing I do not get about charity bags: why do they never collect them.

I found a bag outside my front door once, so I called the police suspecting a bomb would be inside, the ommunity police officer came along and casually picked it up, whilst I was flinching.

I think I was a bit paranoid from all the news :eek:

The thing I do not get about charity bags: why do they never collect them.
Because nobody bothers filling them?

I found a bag outside my front door once, so I called the police suspecting a bomb would be inside, the ommunity police officer came along and casually picked it up, whilst I was flinching.
I hope they doubled your police charge on your council tax bill. Of all the important, popular places a terrorist could bomb . . . . alsheating's house. :rolleyes:

You used to be able to opt out on line, but when Watchdog reported this it became popular and they tried to make it more difficult for people.

I'd hope to tape up my letterbox within a year or two.
Unfortuntely theres the 6 child tax credit letters a year...

Make a 'no junk mail' sticker for your letterbox to stop the menus etc.

It's so old fashioned and bad for the environment!
People can find a takeaway or double glazing supplier themselves.

Mind you, the fact we never get any post doesn't stop the posties taking a short cut across our garden and littering it with red elastic bands as they go :mad:

Sponsored Links
Back