Free Tape Measure.

J

johnfox

is it true boiler makers are going to supply a free tape measure with every new boiler purchased.
i think its something to do with the alarming rise of installers not cutting flues to correct length or even not cutting flues at all.
or it could be that internal flues are often sticking outside of buildings.
is this a safety matter,just asking as a neighbour had their flue damaged by vandals who liked to swing on the external flue and bent it downwards it also parted company with top of boiler.

Sponsored Links
internal flue (sorry i am not a gas person) in my understanding is the part which runs from top of boiler,through the wall and stops on the outside external wall.
the only part of the flue on the outside is the terminal.
my neighbours boiler is on the ground floor,the lazy installer could not be bothered to cut it to suit the wall thickness.
he also left it under supplied with gas so when useing hot water it was only luke warm.makers engineer has been here and says its a common installer fault,flues and gas issues.
corgi are dealing with it now as installer has done a runner before being paid in full.

Sponsored Links
my neighbour has had the remedial work done by another company and is still £1200 better off.
flue now looks very neat and has a sturdy steel cage for extra protection.

If this is a new condensing boiler the steel flue guard is incorrect and will not last long.

Condensing boilers should have a plastic coated flue terminal guard.

plastic,we live in a nice part of town,only stainless steel will do here.
nice yes but has the usual problems with youngsters roaming around they have nothing to do so they f...k around.

on the scrap heap at 49.god help the uk.

flue now looks very neat and has a sturdy steel cage for extra protection.

The cage is to protect PEOPLE from getting burnt and NOT to protect the flue itself.

Your neighbours evidently used a non registered installer. I expect they did this because it was cheaper.

They have actually made a big gain as invoking CORGI caused the installer to hide without getting paid for his ( substandard ) work.

Tony

thanks tony,the only reason the terminal is caged is to protect it from vandalasm,its 8 foot high from the ground.
the guy came back for the final payment,i was asked to be present when he called.
he arrived,my neighbour asked me to deal with him,i presented him with an invoice from the boiler maker,he swore,threatened violence etc.
i just smiled at him while i was removing my jacket and clicking my fingers.he stood up to me swore again and ran away,dont know why.
anyway he is on neighbours cctv,with corgi self adhesive number on van,also corgi paperwork.
he advertises in a big (colour)pages phone book.
at the monent the neighbour is happy to go halves on the money he saved. :D :D :D :D :D :D

i just smiled at him while i was removing my jacket and clicking my fingers.

Tut Tut, school boy error. If someone sticks the nut on ya whilst you are taking off your best jacket you will have egg on your face (or even claret).

Remember for next time ;)

we live in a nice part of town,only stainless steel will do here.
nice yes but has the usual problems with youngsters roaming around they have nothing to do so they f...k around.

sounds like a joy place to live.

as we are in europe why do uk boiler makers only supply makers/fitting instructions only in english.
seems more non english guys at it than english guys.
so no need for inches in tape measure anymore.

saint george;s day soon support the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back