Freestanding kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting my kitchen stripped back and replastered etc.

Rather than getting a fitted kitchen I'm tinking about getting freestanding units, including sink, hob etc.

I'm partly doing this as I hope it will be cheaper, but I'm also slightly suspicious of the hidden areas behind fitted kitchens re. cleaning etc..

I'm mainly looking at the IKEA stuff here:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/10794/

Apart from IKEA, is there anywhere else I can get decent cheap units from?

Sponsored Links
Those 'hidden areas' can be jolly useful.

We jut put a new kitchen in. We shopped around, including IKEA, and ended up getting one from a diy kitchen place (google it). Comes ready built and they will fit the door too for a very small extra dosh which makes it simple to put in. You could easily do it yourself if you wanted, we ended up paying the guy who built the extension a few hundred quid to put it in. Saved a fortune doing it that way over the kitchen shops and the quality was very high.

Had the worktops installed by the outfit that supplied the materials.

Thought the IKEA stuff a bit tacky and limited in carcass colours, mrs wanted similar colour to the doors.

Cheap decent units don't exist you can have one or the other :rolleyes:

Ikea carcasses are abysmal quality. Moisture gets in through the laminate edges and within months the chipboard swells up.

Rather than getting a fitted kitchen I'm tinking about getting freestanding units, including sink, hob etc.

Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. In the future, who knows, you may want/have to sell. The majority of people will want a fitted kitchen, not necessarily an expensive one, but fitted nonetheless.

I'm no design guru, but most of the stuff in Ikea leaves me cold. It must sell, otherwise I presume they wouldn't stock it. Very often the style seems a bit weird, continental or naff. Sometimes all three.

Getting it wrong now could affect the future value and saleability of your biggest asset. Everyone's different though. If you're certain you will live there for a number of years and it's what you really want - go for it.

Sponsored Links
Can you really split hairs between this kitchen and that when they are all complete rubbish. Anything with a chipboard cab and work top is structurally and quality impared, unless you spend quite a bit more cash or build your own using good materials. Then you will have a product that wiil last to the end of time. As for Ikea cab's they are thicker than any other. I would say better made crap amongst a very big pile.

Ridiculous to suggest a kitchen should last until the end of time. obviously never been married :)

Back