Freezers, power consumption

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old (12 to 15 years), basic, upright freezer, replaced this week - the measured consumption during winter, freezer located in the quite cool pantry...

It worked out at around 0.850Kwh per day, as averaged over 45 days use. I suspect that consumption figure would be much higher, in the warmer weather.

New basic, upright, of similar size, after allowing time to settle before taking any measurements, over a much shorter period and in summer. It recorded 0.750Kwh per 24 hours. Big differences between design of old and new - it is a frost free type, periodically it runs a defrost heater cycle, and the drawers shelves are enclosed at the bottom. Cooling air is blown by a fan, with all pipework enclosed at the interior/back.

Call that a saving of 0.1 to 0.400Kwh per day in consumption, assume 0.200Kwh average over a year. At current electricity prices, 30p per Kwh, that saves 6p per day, or £21.9 per year. New freezer cost £350, so 16 years to pay for itself.

Sponsored Links
Second hand goods for the win! The only large appliance we've ever bought new is our fridge freezer as we wanted one to fit a specific gap.

Everything else (dryer, washing machine, dish washer, oven etc.) was all second hand! Gave it all a good, thorough clean and you'd never know! Most have served us 8 years plus now. Nothing was more than £50, so even if something had failed, another £50 spent and we'd still be well ahead of buying new.

Second hand goods for the win! The only large appliance we've ever bought new is our fridge freezer as we wanted one to fit a specific gap.

Fine, if you have some suitable transport, to collect such large items. I only now have a saloon.

We bought a brand new freezer around 10 years ago, my then partner's grandson, suggested a swap of the new freezer, for his older but larger one and she accepted the swap. That was the one which failed.

I looked at several used ones, but it was not easy finding someone selling, who had transport, apart from shops. I managed to track this one down in a shop as new, but damaged, with £100 discount on the price. Just a bit of a cosmetic dent in the side, not a problem where it was going to be installed.

Old (12 to 15 years), basic, upright freezer, replaced this week - the measured consumption during winter, freezer located in the quite cool pantry...

It worked out at around 0.850Kwh per day, as averaged over 45 days use. I suspect that consumption figure would be much higher, in the warmer weather.

New basic, upright, of similar size, after allowing time to settle before taking any measurements, over a much shorter period and in summer. It recorded 0.750Kwh per 24 hours. Big differences between design of old and new - it is a frost free type, periodically it runs a defrost heater cycle, and the drawers shelves are enclosed at the bottom. Cooling air is blown by a fan, with all pipework enclosed at the interior/back.

Call that a saving of 0.1 to 0.400Kwh per day in consumption, assume 0.200Kwh average over a year. At current electricity prices, 30p per Kwh, that saves 6p per day, or £21.9 per year. New freezer cost £350, so 16 years to pay for itself.
Why do you want freezer to pay for itself , I expect mine to keep food frozen.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want freezer to pay for itself , I expect mine to keep food frozen.
suspect harry was just making general comments
nowadays most things energy use wise are rated or talked in terms off payback time so you can decide if change is good value monetary wise' save the planet wise and just feel good to swap rather than very essential to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back