French door advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
Looking for a bit of advice please. Had a lovely pair of french doors made for my victorian terrace house. The builder measured and ordered them for me and stated no sill. When I arrived back from work the builder had put in the doors and fitted the mortice sash but took off the edge of the door which looked awful friend came round and advised he should have used a rebate set? Also he has now put in a bit of wood at the bottom but it only fits properly on one side of the door. He then gouged out wood for a flush lock but that will not fit now. I am so upset. Also when replaced door found their is a wood lintel up there the builder just says leave it but should it be replaced with metal or stone? Does all this sound right or has he bodged it? Any advice much appreciated :(

Sponsored Links
On a positive note, the builder was probably correct regarding the lintel!

If he has messed the doors up, then don't accept it.

He should have fitted a proper rebated mortice lock for security and aesthetics

He may be able to do an effective splice of the rebate, and if you are happy to accept this then it should come with a discount in the cost.

Otherwise insist on a new door set.

Don't pay anything unless you are happy, or pay a nominal figure and agree the balance once you are happy with a solution.

Thanks Woody
The lintel is reassuring. I will buy a rebate set and see if they can make it ok...although I have lost faith in them really. Could you please tell me whats the best wood filler to get for the bit they took out for the flush bolt? I have bought deadbolts now instead which they shouldn't be able to mess up. I will talk to them about the sill today. Big big thank you for answering :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back