French Doors Replacing Kitchen Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my kitchen window with French doors. I have read up and have studied all the problems that i am likely to incur, except one.

The outside wall, which is pebble-dashed is cemented to about an inch onto the outside of the Window frame. The inside wall is plastered to about an Inch onto the inside of the frame. I am after advice on which wall to damage to get the frame out? and any advice on the best way to make the damaged wall good?

The House was built in 1905, and the kitchen extension was built in the 50's/60's

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You might not have any choice (you saw through the old frames and take out the pieces, to minimise damage) but it is easier to paint or paper the inside to hide repaired plaster. And you can easily fit internal architrave. If you patch up old render or pebbledash it will show forever.

Sorry i forgot to mention the current window is Double Glazed, fitted in the 80's, would i still be right in thinking that cutting/breaking it out would cause less damage than chipping the plaster back to the edges of the frame and removing it the conventional way?

any advice, much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back