Freplacing ash felt roof with rubber, council want money??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof measuring approx 6m x 4m that covers my kitchen and hallway. I have had 4 quotes to have the work done, all of which involve removing existing ash felt, installing 100mm insulation blocks, then overlaying with a rubber membrane.

As next door is a council house, and their kitchen roof follows on from ours, I thought I would speak with the council to make sure there shouldn't be any issues.

They are now trying to tell me I need to submit a building officiation, which will cost me £285, wtf..??? None of the 4 tradesmen said anything about me needing to do anything like this.. I really dont understand why I have to pay the council anything....

This is what they told me

Please see attached Approved Document L1B – page 17 deals with renovation of a thermal element – have a read and see how you interpret it.

The fee for us to inspect and approve would be £285 (see attached fee schedule Table B, Part 2)

This fee applies to "Renovation of a thermal element to a single
dwelling"

Why do they have to inspect it? Its being done by competant, qualified installers, Im not doing it myself...?? I know people who had had their flat roofs done, and nevery had to tell the council...

Can anyone shed any light??

Sponsored Links
But the work is being carried out by people in the trade who know what they are doing, so surely they would comply with any regs.

None of the 4 installers I have had visit mention anything about contacting the council or having to pay for an inspection.

Im not removing the existing roof, simply putting insulation and a rubber membrane over it.

Taken from the above links...

Existing Flat Roofs

Flat roofs are more simple and generally consist of joists that span the gap between two walls. These are covered by panels which, in turn, are covered in felting or other such coatings as required.

Flat Roofs

Some repairs to flats roofs will not require an application for approval under the Building Regulations. However, if the roof with integral insulation is to be replaced then you may be required to upgrade this 'thermal element' of the structure and reduce the amount of heat that was originally lost, by upgrading the insulation.

So, yes, I will add the required thermal insulation.. which the tradesmen will duly comply with.. Surely they wouldn't be able to do what they do, if they didnt do it right?

Its just the red tape that exists nowadays.

It is a PITA but the owness is on the homeowner to comply not the roofer. Unfortunately roofers cannot always be trusted to do what they ought to! You say they'd comply with any regs but they didn't even mention it to you though did they? Forgive me but the forum is packed to the brim with posters who thought they were gonna get a professional (based on I don't know what) but the roofer turned out to be crap and has done a runner and left them up the creak.

Many people do not bother you are right so you could just stick 2 fingers up to the LA if you like. Up to you really. You may get a snotty letter through from Building Control though and it will come up that you have undertaken non compliant works carried out when you come to sell though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.. I see your point... Ill do a bit more investigation..

I like to think im a bit more wary when choosing builders, having been bitten once before, so all my tradesmen are checkatrade listed.

Ive just watched a youtbe vid about someone discussing Part L1B of the building regulations, and some of it can be down to interpretation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSWPVQr-R_o

Im not actually repairing or replacing 25% or less of the roof, im simply adding some insulation then putting a membrane over it...

Think ill call them tomorrow...

I like to think im a bit more wary when choosing builders, having been bitten once before, so all my tradesmen are checkatrade listed.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Checkatrade are just another in a big list of unscrupulous websites that exist for the benefit of the contractors who pay to be on there not the customers!

Fill yer boots //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235212&start=0

//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...tbytime=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

Find a better way to find a roofer! ;)

Yeah...ok, im falling for them all!!!

Ok, ive since been doing some furhter reading about roofers, hopefully, Im barking up the right tree if I get someone registered with this government backed scheme...

http://www.competentroofer.co.uk/

I suppose at the end of the day, no matter how much checking you do, you can always be duped!...

Cheers for your advice!

Yup, the companies in the Competent roofer scheme will sort the regs issue themselves and can issue the Building Regs certificate for work done on completion including upgrading the thermal element as required.

Regs apply to internal insulation, not external. Also, if you overlay its classified as a repair, not covered by regs.

I would also be concerned how they are going to seal your proposed roof to next door. Party wall act will also kick in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back