Frequent DSL and phone disconnections

R

RhysJames2008

Hi there,
Ive been having problems with my phone line (I think) for quite a few months, it keeps disconnecting my broadband and phone for anything between 20 seconds and several hours.
I have noticed some irregular wiring and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. The guy that lived here before me was a DIY freak and got it all wrong.
Basically, I have an old type master socket (the ones that look like slaves), and there has been an extension hardwired into this, but the extension is also a master socket. Is this normal?
There are also only two wires connected to terminals 2 and 5 on both the master socket and the extension master socket.

I know this all sounds confusing but if anyone can make any sense of this and can understand my problem Ill be so bloomin' grateful.
If anybody needs pictures of all this then I can supply.

Kindest Regards
Rhys James

Sponsored Links
This is one of the typical diy quick jobs we come across. Somebody tells the sub to buy a socket with the capacitor in and just use two wires and it will still ring. However, too much capacitance at the subs end can cause probs with adsl. Shouldn't affect the phone line too much though, unless you are miles from the exch when the extra capacitance can cause ringer problems.

Also, if the sub has used a screwdriver to terminate the wires into the idc socket, this could be causing your probs as well, due to a bad termination.

easiest way out of this is to cut out the bright yellow capacitor and the gas discharge tube ( if fitted ) from the back of the socket plate and wire up terminal three between the sockets using the orange wire with white rings.

This will effectively turn the second socket into a slave socket and hopefully end your problems. If you still get trouble, I would suggest you ring BT up and ask them to test the line for you.

So do I need to reconnect any or all of the wires coming into my house from BT?
Only 2 are connected currently.

Sponsored Links
You have got two master sockets with capacitors them,this will no doubt give you problems on your dsl connection,as suggested earlier cut out the capcitor on the one to become a slave,you dont need to connect the 3rd wire( bell wire) as your filter will make the slave ring,as the other reply stated do not connect the third wire as this will gain give you problems as it is a known problem that it acts as a antenna and will again give you problems.

Okay, I think I get it now... stupid me.
But wouldnt it be easier for me to buy a new slave socket rather than go cutting the components out?

you dont need to connect the 3rd wire( bell wire) as your filter will make the slave ring

Yeah, sorry about that OP. I just automatically assume that people are using an NTE with a faceplate filter for the better adsl performance it gives which, obviously by your first post you aren't.

If you're willing to buy a new extension socket, why not go the whole hog and buy an NTE5A and Faceplate filter off eBay ? This will definitely give you the best adsl performance and also automatically filters all extensions connected to the NTE front plate.

Both items could prolly be bought off eBay for around a tenner or so and if you're not using a wireless router, ( i.e. it is nowhere near the NTE ) there are terminals on the back of the front plate that allow you to use the spare green pair in the extension cabling to route the adsl signal through your house to where you want it.

This is how my wiring is in my house and I have no probs whatsoever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back