Freshly Dug Ground Settle Before Fencing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removed 2 fairly large tree stumps and had to dig around an area of about 3.5m x 2m up to around 50cm down. Now they've gone I'd like to redo the fence and need to put 2 x 8ft concrete fencing posts in at the edge of the area I've just dug over. Is there anything I can do to speed up the settling of the area? Based on that, how long would you recommend I leave it before digging post holes (60cm depth) ?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Anyone care to hazard a guess here?

Otherwise I'll leave it a month or so and have a go. Will report back if posts fall flat in the first bit of wind we get!

Fill it with earth and water the area, (give it a good soaking) you should see the earth sink, then refill until height required.

Do this several times until no more sinkage.

Andy

Just removed 2 fairly large tree stumps and had to dig around an area of about 3.5m x 2m up to around 50cm down. Now they've gone I'd like to redo the fence and need to put 2 x 8ft concrete fencing posts in at the edge of the area I've just dug over. Is there anything I can do to speed up the settling of the area? Based on that, how long would you recommend I leave it before digging post holes (60cm depth) ?

Thanks!
You need to get a footing into virgin untouched soil. If you set your posts into a 50cmx50cmx100cm deep cube of concrete they are unlikely to shift.

Sponsored Links
If you are using 6ft panels then you will also need a 6'' gravel board.
Thus making the post depth 18'' into the ground.(450mm)

The above goes for concrete or timber posts.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back