Fridge freezer next to oven. Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With our kitchen, on one side we will be having three tall units. Left one will be an integrated fridge/freezer, middle, two integrated ovens and the right hand unit will be a larder. Reading the bumph with the fridge last night it says don't fit next to an oven or radiator. It's in the same position as our old fridge which is next to a rad anyway. We can swap the ovens and larder around but do you think it would be a problem even though they are both integrated? Would heat reflecting foil help if we kept them in the planned position?

Screenshot 2024-03-06 113650.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I've always taken advice to keep them far apart. Our fridge is on the opposite side of the kitchen to the cooker.

I think it's unavoidable in many situations, I suppose they'll just have to work a bit harder.. Our oven will be sandwiched between int. fridge and freezer. We're having handleless units which require a 30mm gap between them for the vertical rail so at least I can stick some celotex between them

Fan assisted ovens don't get hot enough to damage the cabinets. Most of the heat is directed forwards.

I don't see a problem, but I am only guessing. I have worked in houses where they were next to each other with 19 or 38mm panels between them.

Sponsored Links
You could be risking some heat ware damage (hopefully not burning, which you would certainly notice/smell) to the side of your fridge. You could also be hurting the efficiency of your fridge. The fridges job is to suck heat out of your food, but if its having to suck the heat from your stove as well, it could be using extra energy.

I would look for some kind of insulating foam or padding to put in between the two.

Our fridge/freezer, is spaced away from the double, fan oven, by a cupboard unit. I wouldn't be too concerned about a modern fan oven, being adjacent to a fridge/freezer - given that there are no other sensible options, because ovens are well insulated, and most of the heat is kicked out the front.

You could be risking some heat ware damage (hopefully not burning, which you would certainly notice/smell) to the side of your fridge. You could also be hurting the efficiency of your fridge. The fridges job is to suck heat out of your food, but if its having to suck the heat from your stove as well, it could be using extra energy.

I would look for some kind of insulating foam or padding to put in between the two.

Our floor to ceiling unit houses our fan oven and micro-combi steam oven. Granted, the cabinet has end panels (meaning 38mm of "wood), but the surface of the end panels never feel hot when the oven is running.

Our integrated fridge is next to the tall unit, that said, only the lower part of the fan assisted oven is only about 8" below the top of the fridge.

I think I’ll take a chance but I’ll add some of that insulating foil that people put between the radiator and wall both in the fridge housing and oven housing. If I notice that my butter is melting and my milk is going off, I’ll have to think again.

Last edited:

Oven don’t generate heat sideways and fridges have around 50mm thermal insulation , you would have to burn the unit down between appliances to have any heat transfer .

Oven don’t generate heat sideways and fridges have around 50mm thermal insulation , you would have to burn the unit down between appliances to have any heat transfer .

Agreed, as previously stated, the heat is expelled via the front, ie, the fan blows it forward.

would be an interesting conversation when the repair engineer says "it says in the manual not to be installed next to a heat source " as he thinks about packing his bag and walking away as he has a get out clause ??

would be an interesting conversation when the repair engineer says "it says in the manual not to be installed next to a heat source " as he thinks about packing his bag and walking away as he has a get out clause ??
It’s currently in use out of the unit in the corner of the room so if something did ever go wrong, I could always undo three screws, take it out of the housing and put it back there. ;)

IMG_6361.jpeg

Does say that in any manual I’ve read.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back