Fridge Freezer Not Getting Cold Enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have searched the forums but am struggling to diagnose the fault. This is a Zanussi 60/40 fridge freezer.
I'm starting to think it's the compressor but before I go and spend the money on a new fridge, I wanted to get some advice on here.

Originally we came back from holiday to find everything had defrosted and I left it unplugged for an hour and powered back up, all seemed to be ok for a few days but it has gone again.

The issue it that the freezer is not getting cold enough and consequently neither is the fridge.

- it's not a frost issue as I then left it off for 3 days to make sure
- The fan is running in the freezer ok
- I checked resistance across the compressor and it seems to be ok in that respect
- I think the compressor may be struggling to start on occasions but when it does the temp begins to drop but doesn't seem to get below 8c. At this temp its not being shut off by the thermostat which is what makes we wonder if it is the compressor at fault.
- the side of the fridge where I believe the other coils are located (I can't find them) do not always get hot

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have a similar issue with a Daewoo model. Although you say it is not a frost issue have you checked the coils aren't iced up in the freezer blocking the airflow. If it is iced up your frost heater has most likely failed. If not and the fan isv100% okay then it will either be low on gas or a compressor problem or both. I replaced our fan motor, slightly better but still not cold enough. Checked the coils, very little ice, so new fridge freezer time. It's 8 years old so not worth spending much on.

The coils were not iced up as I had left it off for 3 days, I also removed the cover inside the freezer to check the coils and fan was running.
I didn't test the heater but did make sure it was not in defrost cycle.

I did try bypassing the thermostat altogether, then sat and watched the temperature using a thermometer, I would drop below zero then start climbing and falling.
Based on that, I took it that the compressor was obviously starting but could not maintain a low enough temp which I put down to lack of compression.

I'm no pro of course but logically it seemed to point to the compressor.

We ordered a new fridge freezer yesterday in the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back