Fridge is Dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, came home tonight and the fridge is dead. It's a 3-year old Neff.

I've checked the circuit breaker and fuse in the fridge plug and all seems fine.

There's definitely no life, fan and light off and food.

Any ideas if there's something obvious that I've missed?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the socket that you plug the fridge into with another appliance ( bedside lamp or whatever) just to see that electricity is actually getting that far.
John :)

Thanks John, yes I've checked that with a lamp and the socket is fine as is the fuse in the plug.

Could it be that something inside has blown or overheated?

For sure, it must have done....I'm surprised that even the door light doesn't cooperate though.
There could be a PCB within I guess, that's gone AWOL for some reason - there's hardly anything else to go wrong!

Sponsored Links
Dear oh dear! when is the funeral? Don't rush yet? if everything is dead, its actually a good news. It means it will awake up again, its just gone into deep long sleep, so give it a chance it will awake up, but you will need to do something to awake it up, check its internal wiring and a trace live going into various branches, incoming live should go to door light switch, which brings the light on, and other branches off this incoming live would be through a thermostat to compressor motor, fan etc, most likely the problem is disruption to this incoming live, or it can even be the Neutral circuit.

You will need some sort of diagnostic equipment such as a multi meter, with resistance or continuity check, the way to go would be trace how far does live from the 3 pin plug buzzes at each of those points I mentioned earlier, i.e. door switch, thermostat, then look for obvious faults if the resistance reading or if it doesn't buzz, you have fault on live circuit, check with thermostat being turned up and down, also with door switch being pushed in and out, same way check Neutral circuit if it has continuity with 3 pin plug's N, remember the right pin on a 3 pin plug when looking from its cover side is the live, or it would be left if you were looking from pin side. Fridges also have incoming mains filtering, it may be that just your filter has conked out.

If the fridge needs a PCB the costs can be staggering....you may get an idea if you tap in your model number into espares.
If there's a white goods repairer nearby, they may have a better idea than me!

The good news is that it's alive again, bad news is that I look an idiot.

Got a sparky in...as he was checking the socket he looked up and noticed a small switch under the light in the fridge...

Seems we probably knocked the switch putting something inside the fridge. Had no idea it was there, not a great design as it's right by where you'd store food.

Anyhow expensive repair bill avoided and sorry for wasting your time.

Can't say I've ever heard of that one.....! Curious that it keeps the door lamp off too.
Pleased you got it sorted!

The good news is that it's alive again, bad news is that I look an idiot.

Got a sparky in...as he was checking the socket he looked up and noticed a small switch under the light in the fridge...

Seems we probably knocked the switch putting something inside the fridge. Had no idea it was there, not a great design as it's right by where you'd store food.

Anyhow expensive repair bill avoided and sorry for wasting your time.
Well and truly pleased for you, glad it was nothing more than a switch of some kind in the compartment. learning curve I suppose. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back