Fridges Freezers & RCDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a new CU fitted soon and after doing a bit of reading on here, it seems that a Freezer on a RCD/RCBO (currently have old 'fusewire' job). protected circuit is OK, but not ideal due to nuisance tripping, which would be a major pain as I often work from home using IT kit which I could well do without having a sudden power outage on.

As I only have one downstairs 'socket ring' the only other option I can think of would be to run the Freezer off of the cooker circuit which I gather would be non RCD. This would be fairly easy practically (to my untrained brain), but would it be wise ?

Is there anything else I can do/get done barring a complete downstairs re-wire ?

curiosity as much as anything.

Sponsored Links
If you have a Fusewire CU, you should be thinking about having it replaced, and renewing your wiring circuits at the same time. Most likely they are over 30 years old. You can upgrade to meet your current needs.

You would be better of with
- a downstairs ring *
- an upstairs ring *
- an outdoor circuit *
- a cooker circuit
- a kitchen circuit *
- a freezer circuit
- a circuit for your IT toys
- upstairs light
- downstairs light
- outdoor lights
- immersion heater circuit
- alarms circuit

for a start, with room for future additions.

*Circuits marked * should be on RCBOs, or an RCD if you are counting the pennies.

In my experience, RCDs trip much more often from outdoor circuits that get rain in them, and from watery appliances like steam irons, washing machines and kettles, than from freezers.

It is preferable to have a cooker circuit with no socket outlet, as one day someone will plug the lawnmower into it, or the kettle,and drop it in the sink. People often use cooker sockets for faulty appliances :rolleyes: , to save the inconvenience of the RCD tripping :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LondonRay said:
it seems that a Freezer on a RCD/RCBO (currently have old 'fusewire' job). protected circuit is OK, but not ideal due to nuisance tripping, which would be a major pain as I often work from home using IT kit which I could well do without having a sudden power outage on.

I think you've got this backwards - I believe the idea of having the freezer on a seperate circuit is so that the freezer keeps going in the event of the RCD tripping while you're out.

Thanks John much appreciated as always.

I like the idea of a dedicated IT circuit. I might have a think about the practicalities of that. Part of the work does involve getting an outside socket fitted which will be from it's own RCBO, so that should cut down on trips a bit by what you say.

Just so you know I'm not ignoring the rest of your advice...for reasons I don't pretend to understand whilst the CUs (there's one for each 'ring') are obviously from the dark ages the actual wiring is OK.

This is not my opinion, but that of the Electrician who came round to quote for replacing the CU, he tested vars bits and pieces in various locations and said that the wiring was fine. Hence not really wanting to go the disruption or expense of a full rewire.

Sponsored Links
I wondered about that JW, but a few posts from those in the know on here seemed to be saying that Freezers themselves were prone to tripping RCDs... to be honest it was partly on that point I was seeking clarification... ably provided above.

LondonRay said:
I wondered about that JW, but a few posts from those in the know on here seemed to be saying that Freezers themselves were prone to tripping RCDs... to be honest it was partly on that point I was seeking clarification... ably provided above.

They can be as they get older, worn thermostats, etc

Not a massively significant problem, most freezers dont cause an issue, but likely to be a right pain in the backside if your freezer does do it!

Ray,

Not really related to the CU change but have you thought of getting a UPS for your IT kit? Your employer may even foot the bill. That way, if the power does go down, your IT kit remains powered for however long your chosen UPS is capable of powering it for.

regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back