Friedland Warbler Mk2 Door Chime Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please ignore the coloured insulating tape, I added that before I removed the doorbell so I can recall what wire went where.

I am looking to replace this door chime with a more modern one due to the presence of a Mercury Switch.

I am not clear what the terminals "R" "2" "0" actually mean, as no modern door chimes seem to label them the same.

There are two door bell buttons, one at the front and one at the side.

Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
0 and A - push 1
0 and B - push 2
0 and 3 - transformer if used

according to the friendland catalogue.

but if you intend to use another chime, just locate the wires that going back to the transformer and pushes and connect up as marked on the new chime.

Nothing wrong with mercury switches as long as you don't drop them and let the magic silver stuff out.

Thanks.

So, on a new chime what would the old connections

R map to.
0 map to.
2 map to.

I'm not sure which wire is which?

The markings really are not that important and vary by model, you would be better just working out the 2 cores to each bell push and the 2 wires from the transformer.
And then connect your new one accordingly

Sponsored Links
I think

O is the common supply to one side of the coil

2 is direc to the other side of the coil

R goes to the coil via the interrupter mechanism

Connect one side of the supply to 0, the other side to the door push buttons

connect one door push to 2, pressing that pushing that button will give DING and then when released a DONG

connect the other door push to R pressing that will give repeated DING DONG DING DONG until the push button is released

Hi,

Purchased a Friedland D525 door chime in the end.

States 8v on box and instructions. Sticker on back shows 8v/12v.

I already have a 12v Friedland C75 transformer wired up from the old door bell (see above posts), so would like to know if I can re-use this? Although interestingly, this seems to have an 8v output and a 4 volt output (12v in total). So I guess the 8v goes to the chime and the 4v to the door bell push buttons…. is this right??

Or do I need a new transformer?

So I guess the 8v goes to the chime and the 4v to the door bell push buttons…. is this right??

NO! If you do that you will short out the transformer. The bell, transformer and switch go in series. You could use the 8v or the 12v output from the tranny.

Surely you got an installation sheet with your new doorbell??

I think I'm just confused at the labels of 4v and 8v on each wire from the transformer. See photo below

The old door chime was wired as photo in above top listing, with three other wires twisted together and wrapped in insulating tape that did not connect to the chime unit.

Old terminals:
R map to?
0 map to?
2 map to?

I'm hoping to transfer the existing wires to this new door chime, which as the following terminals:

New terminals:

C1
C2
V/AC
AC

So, I think the three wires twisted together and insulated would map to V/AC, the common would map to AC and C1 and C2 are for the front and back door pushes.

Where the existing wires are will deliver 12v,

I guess you have the wiring info? Photo and post the wiring instructions, if you cannot understand them.

There are two wired push buttons, one at front and one at rear door.

OLD doorbell chime (as per photo 3 wires attached to terminals labelled 'R', '0' and '2' AND further three wires not connected to chime but twisted together in what looks like a small white felt tip pen lid, must be some sort of connector. (ignore coloured tape I added this before I disconnected to remind me what wire went where)

EXISTING 12v Friedland C75 Transformer (still in situ) as was connected to old door chime above. Says 12v, but then seems to label one wire output at 8v and the other at 4v... not sure on this? Assume I can re-use?

New Friedland D525 Doorbell Wiring Instructions. Says 8v on instructions and box but back of unit says 8/12v on sticker, so assume existing 12v transformer is OK to use (or do I need to buy new 8v one)?
Would like to know where the old wires that were connected to 'R', '0' and '2' would map to the new 'C1', 'C2', 'V/AC' and 'AC' terminals. I think V/AC is the three wires that are twisted together in the weird white pen lid like connector.

The instructions say 8v, so use 8volts.

The transformer has three terminals. 8v, earth and 4v.
To use 8v you connect between earth and 8v. (if you wanted to have 12v you connect between 8 and 4. between earth and 4v would give you 4v - OK?)

The connection from the transformer goes to the two AC terminals on the bell (it doesnt matter which way round).
One bell push between C1 and V/AC
The other push between C2 and V/AC.

Do you have two bell pushes already? If so, those 3 wires that are in the white wirenut go to the V/AC terminal.

thanks Taylortwocities.

I already have two door pushes.

I'm not sure what of the three wires connected to the old doorbell is which.

I think '0' was common earth.

'R' and '1' were the door pushes.

But I'm not sure.

OK, thanks

Still confused about old Transformer.

I emailed Friedland technical dept who confirmed 12v would be fine. Sticker on back of chime states 8v/12v.

But is this AC or DC?

Should I just buy a more modern transformer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back