Friggin Modern Light Fittings

Lights are made for a much larger market than just the UK, and I assume that our traditional loop-in lighting circuits are as unique as ring finals and fused plugs.

Sponsored Links
My pet hate with light fittings - they provide screws to screw them to the ceiling which are worse than useless, and anyway everyone has decent screws in their toolbox, but they never provide extras of the pathetic little grub screws that hold the fitting to its base, so when you drop them on the floor you have to ferret around until you find them because you've never got a spare in the toolbox that'll fit!!!

PJ

The worst ones for me are coach lanterns etc. with a round plastic base with threaded studs sticking out.

They are ok on a perfect rendered wall, but get anything even slightly uneven and you've had it.

There is never enough thread sticking out the light to fasten them up, and there's virtually no room for the wiring.

It seems to be the standard fixing for outside lights now. :evil:

pir-coach-lantern-in-white.jpg

Utter garbage.

Sponsored Links
There is never enough thread sticking out the light to fasten them up

There usually is, until...

anything even slightly uneven and you've had it.

...you get the fitting over the base, offer the nut up to the thread and it disappears...

ARRRGGGHHH!!!

pir-coach-lantern-in-white.jpg

Utter garbage.

Here, here.

ASD ones were good. Don't know if they're still around: more robust and a slide-on fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back