Friggin Modern Light Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a light - one of them 3 way spotlight jobbies - what a barsteward!!!??? Just getting the halogen bulbs in takes forever and nearly scraps the fitting; at least they give you a rubber sucker thing thats next to useless. I'll give it one bulb change by me and the bloody thing will be on the next available skip...

Sponsored Links
from B&Q by chance

I hate the stuff. If I get to customers before they do I send em up to TLC to choose their light.

Sponsored Links
I have a tried and trusted rule.... the cheaper the light fitting the more I charge to fit it.... works every time

SB

My secret desire is to meet a light designer in a dark alley and beat him senseless with a wet fish - don't these people ever try installing their creations?

pj

Similar situation here. Bought a round ceiling light from Wickes. It cost about £5 and was predictably awful.

The glass shade is held in by chrome screws, except they are painted plastic. As a result the threads are awful. It took sodding ages just to get them in and straight.

The fitting also has various stamped holes in the back which are razor sharp hence my fingers are covered in grazes.

Helpfully the landholder has push-fit terminals with holes for 2 live and 2 neutral. That's fine but I've got three neutrals so that's not going to work.

In the end I stuck the old one back up and wil worry about it later.

All in all it's cr**.

It's not just lighting designers.

The world is full of idiot "stylists" who prioritise form over function to such an extent that they cripple the functionality of whatever it is they are supposed to be "designing".

Hmmmm glad its just not me then - I mean the feckers that "zone" everything and treat even sparks with 30+ yrs experience like morons are these the same people that sanction zoned lightfittings that when the householder comes along to try and change a bulb ends up snapping the bloody connector off or yanking the whole fitting off the ceiling...like has been said...progress! :rolleyes:

The fitting also has various stamped holes in the back which are razor sharp hence my fingers are covered in grazes.

.... and while we're havin a moan - ever change the catch on a built in dishwasher? - word of warning... watch out for the feckin razor sharp edge that is nicely hidden just where you are about to put your hand - I didn't and removed most of the skin off my finger - still scarred now. Forget white goods - mostly red by the time I finish with em!

i get really annoyed with light fittings where they dont provide any terminals for the wiring except the switched live to the lamp and neutral to the lamp. So you end up having to terminal block the loop lives, neutrals and earths etc and shove it into the ceiling void. Either that or if its upstairs you can go into the loft and fit a proper JB. Your screwed if its downstairs though, unless you want to life the floorboards upstairs! All it would take is a few extra terminals in the fitting!!!! no wonder lighting circuits end up a big mess.

i get really annoyed with light fittings where they dont provide any terminals for the wiring except the switched live to the lamp and neutral to the lamp. So you end up having to terminal block the loop lives, neutrals and earths etc and shove it into the ceiling void.

That's exactly the problem I have with this trash from Wickes. I thought about sticking a porcelain JB in the lamp itself (because of the heat from the lamp), though as it's upstairs will probably whack one in the loft. Either way it's not great planning on their part. I'm obviously not the only one who has encountered this problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back