frog up or down

Sponsored Links
biffvernon said:
Why is a wall built frog down (frog empty) said to be stronger than a wall built with the bricks frog up?
Never heard of this but a wall should always be built frog up so the frog is always filled with mortar on the next spread.If it is walled frog down, rainwater will soak through the brick,settling in any voids and in winter will freeze blowing the face off the brick. Many people wall their bricks frog down to save on mortar,bad practice and more costly in the long run.

I know more about 200 year old bricks that didn't have frogs than about modern ones but here's a quote from the Penguin Dictionary of Building:

"...at least for V-shaped frogs, walls built frog down(frog empty) are stronger than wall built frog up."

Is this nonsence?

my 1930's house is built from bricks without frogs. But we are a bit backward here in the midlands.

Sponsored Links
My 1960's house in the NorthEast is built from bricks with no frogs (or any other holes)

But then again,I've never seen bricks with frogs around here - must be a Southern shandy-drinker thing ;)

biffvernon said:
"...at least for V-shaped frogs, walls built frog down(frog empty) are stronger than wall built frog up."

Is this nonsence?
yep.

After doing a lot of research on this topic (one Google search) I concluded that putting the frog down is better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back