From patio paving to laid turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for everyone's comments on my previous post re: laying of new turf, all duly noted :p
Have just completed the dig over and removed the top inch or so of soil that looked pretty tired and am about to put on some new top soil and level out.
My plan to level out was to set out a number of reference point sticks, connect with string, ensure all is level, then mark the sticks and work to this level. Does this sound the best way of ensuring a level playing field, as it were. :D
Thanks

nick

Sponsored Links
if you want it that level, hammer the pegs down, then place a batten between them at the right level to from a rail. Do that on both sides and you can then work a board along them across the top of the soil to give the correct level.

Lawn has been down now for two weeks and the turf seems to be bedding itself in - well new green bits are appearing anyway!!. I am trying to water it twice a day with an oscillating sprinkler, morning and evening. Any ideas on how long I have to do this for?
Also, there are a few patches where growth is much more limited and to be honest doesn't look too healthy. Can i apply some lawn seed to these areas or is it best to leave it a few more weeks?

Thanks for everyone's previous input, the little nipper is raring to start playing on the grass :p

Sponsored Links
Dustyy said:
Can i apply some lawn seed to these areas or is it best to leave it a few more weeks?
You can and I find the best way is to use peat,sharp sand & top soil all mixes up then put it on top of the grass seeds which will also keep the birds away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back