Front door - checking process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

One of the last jobs I need to do on the house is the old front door which is in a sorry state. It would probably be easier to replace the whole thing but we are rather fond of the stained glass.

Firstly, the stained glass is in a bent out of shape on the left hand side (when looking from the front), but having asked around this will cost hundreds to fix, so I think we will leave it as is for now.

I had thought about getting the door dip stripped but that doesn't appear possible because of the stained glass. (The stained glass has a lot to answer for!) Therefore my current plan, after reading a few other threads is to:

1. Remove the door furniture
2. Remove the existing paint using Nitromors and a scraper
3. Fill cracks/issues with an external wood filler
4. Sand back
5. Apply primer
6. Sand as required
7. Apply grey undercoat
8. Sand as required
9. Paint in blue gloss (2-3 coats)
10. Re-attach door furniture

Given the time of year I thought it best to leave the door hanging. Does this plan sound right? Any recommendations on products would be grateful received.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2391.JPG IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2393.JPG IMG_2396.JPG IMG_2397.JPG IMG_2398.JPG IMG_2394.JPG

Sponsored Links
You don't need to remove ALL of the old paint. Attack it with a scraper to remove the flaky bits, and then sandpaper to smooth.
I often apply a coat of primer/undercoat before applying filler; this makes it easier to see where the dints that need filling actually are.
You shouldn't need 3 coats of gloss. More coats will not hide more imperfections.

Consider this: Gras À Lacquer by Toupret.
It is an oil-based filler, a high-gloss surfacer. It is fantastic.
But do as endecopt says and apply a search coat of primer or undercoat.
Available from Decorating Direct about £12.
Thin it first with spirit or, even better, Owatrol Oil: another useful product.
Progress in ultra thin layers. At least two of gloss.
Google: How we paint a front door: trim decorating.
You have a nice door, patience required if you use the Gras.
Weathershield Oxford Blue is a brilliant gloss.

Sponsored Links
That should have read:How we paint a front door no.2 Trim Decorating.
Shows the Gras etcetera.

Consider this: Gras À Lacquer by Toupret.
It is an oil-based filler, a high-gloss surfacer. It is fantastic.
But do as endecopt says and apply a search coat of primer or undercoat.
Available from Decorating Direct about £12.
Thin it first with spirit or, even better, Owatrol Oil: another useful product.
Progress in ultra thin layers. At least two of gloss.
Google: How we paint a front door: trim decorating.
You have a nice door, patience required if you use the Gras.
Weathershield Oxford Blue is a brilliant gloss.

How long do you have to wait before you can (power) sand the Gras À Lacquer?

I followed this link

http://www.trimdecorating.co.uk/how-we-paint-a-front-door-no-2/

but was worried about the recommendation to sand it with 1,000 grit. Surely that polishes the surface and impairs the ability of the gloss to key?

Thanks for the heads up though, I will definitely try it.

Opps,
practise on something first, this is crucial. If the Gras comes a bit dry you must thin it.
Apply in layers of no more than 0.5mm. Even thinner, any thicker and it will not dry, ever.
You need that 1000 grade and use it slightly wet then leave minimum 16 hours. The link
says a few hours but it depends on the environment.
It does not polish the surface like you are imagining but when using the fine grade you
should end up with a nice creamy surface. Let this dry. Progressin ultra fine layers.
The instructions on the tin are in French. I have forgotten how to get the technical info.
Do not use a power sander. You need continental filling-knives to apply the Gras.
It is a brilliant product but you need skill and common sense. Do practise first.
And do not forget the thin search-coat first as endecopt says.
I hate gloss and have used it mainly with oil eggshell even on exteriors. Three coats.
You need patience but the effect can be superb. Many satisfied customers.

Opps,
I do not know how to do links but Google this:
Toupret Gras A Laquer-HarriDecLtd. Backs up what I said.
Good luck.

Me again.
Go Decorating Direct, Gras A Laquer.
Under the tin you will see Technical Data Sheet.

Too much good advice there to be able to add to, but with regards to the stained glass. Cut a template of wood and fix it to one side, and then gently push it back into place against the wood. make sure the lead is pushed tight up against the glass, then reverse the wood, and work from the other side.

Filling and caulking is best done after priming IMO.

Caulking doesn't adhere to bare wood as well.

Applying 2-3 coats of gloss can be a struggle, gloss takes a while to dry.

Applying 2-3 coats of gloss can be a struggle, gloss takes a while to dry.

I routinely apply two coats of oil based gloss to exterior woodwork. If you add Terebene it will speed up the curing process/

I like the added depth of finish that it provides.

Provided that you apply the second coat within a week or so, there is no need to "key" it.

Thanks again all. Finally chose a colour with the other half in Sikkens Rubbol AZ Plus only to find coloured mixing bases have been discontinued. (With every shop saying "we don't know why, it's the best there was"!). So, now going to go with Weathershield me thinks.

Doggit - will try as suggested on the stained glass - fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back