Front door lock sticking, how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my house 16 months ago, and when I moved in the front door lock was sticking.
A couple of months later, I decided to replace the eurocylinder type lock. This improved matters, but didn't cure the problem completely.

This Yale eurocylinder has only lasted just over a year before breaking (The cam can move round independently of the key), so there is clearly an underlying problem that is breaking the eurocylinders.

So with the door open, the key doesn't freely move the deadbolt, there is a slight stickiness to it.

With the door closed, it is really quite difficult to turn the key, and I have to push the handle up as far as it will go to get the key to turn.

With the eurocylinder out, I have tried spraying lithium grease into where I think the deadbolt mechanism is, but this made little difference.

And I have tried filing down the striker plate where the deadbolt engages with it, but I only went so far with that as I thought it might stop the door closing as tightly, and create a draught.

I have attached a photo of the type of door/lock it is.

I had thought about removing the strip along the edge of the door that the deadbolt goes through so I could spray grease in, then I noticed it was riveted on!

What would be the correct way to deal with this issue?

IMG_20170122_165748_.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you want to get to the deadbolt, you have to remove all the screws above and below it; the mechanism then comes out as a compete piece.

It's more than likely that the claw parts that click in to the frame are now out of alignment, due to the door having dropped slightly. It's not easy to do but raise the handle so the claws move out, mark their position on the door, and then compare them to the striker plates on the frame and see if they line up.

Do you mean the screws on the strip that also have the rivets?

I haven't tried removing this strip in case I got into difficulties, and I'm stuck with a door I can't lock!

It would just be my luck that it would be full of spring loaded gubbins that spew out everywhere as soon as I undo the final screw!

Sponsored Links
Just showing you there's no springs to come loose if you decide to remove and grease it, and then check for alignment and report back.

If the handle goes right up and the key works the dead bolt when the door is open but once closed it becomes difficult or notchy then it's an alignment issue, if the key won't throw the dead bolt it usually means the handle is not right up even though it looks to be, that last little bit of force upwards on the handle cures it then it's defo that the door has settled and dropped

Including a link to presumably your own company is against forum rules, by all means sign up and offer advice and join in the fun but leave the self advertising to your profile page

Incidentally in case you hadn't noticed this is a DIY forum where people ask questions or come to get pointers in doing the job themselves, if they need a locksmith they'll look on yell.com not here

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back