Front door method and process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, had an extension done and the front door was moved into a new porch but due to the frame not being painted and the door being a bit worse for wear it it swells up and sticks in the wet weather, which is to be expected. I would ideally like to keep the door (replacing furniture) as it's decent (in my opinion) however i'm not sure of the best way to attack the renovation...

Ideally I would remove the door and furniture, strip the paint, fill, rub down then set about painting however i'm not sure how I achieve this in the space of a day due to the fact we need to use the door at night - doh!

Looking at the condition of the paint my first thought is a heat gun however I can't do this in situ due to the fumes and my young family in the house.
As you can see from the attached pictures it needs a 'little' work and I also have to adjust the weather seal at the bottom as rain drives underneath in windy conditions.

I would really like to know the best practical way of sorting this over a period of a few days.

thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the splits I'm not sure I'd agree about it being decent. But rub down, fill, prime bare areas, 2 x undercoat and 1x gloss minimum. Start painting mid-morning and it should be dry enough to close for the night. Should add that you will only be doing one coat of paint per day, assuming oil-based paint, so expect job the span several days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back